Favorite BJT transistors, sot-23 and TO-92 equivalents - I

Working on a table for our book, soliciting your opinions, info and advice. For example, try these:

'3904 ans '3906 = jellybean?

MPS5179, PN5179, MMBT5179 -- what's PNP equivalent?

BC547 NPN, sot-23 equiv = BC847, right? BC557 PNP, sot-23 = BC857 ? can I just show the C-grade high-beta variant?

'2369 ... what's a better type, PNP equiv?

and etc...

I'm working on two tables, a short one for inclusion within the body of the transistor chapter, and a long one to be placed at the back of the book. Your favorite candidates are solicited.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I've used the 2N5179 and 2N2369A for RF applications, but I've never come across any complementary devices.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Hi, Win!

BCX70, BCX71; beta graded!

2N7002, as sub for BJT

BFT25, as a transistor and as a diode. It's a better pA diode than a PAD1.

BFS17, fast but not too fast.

John

NPN - BC817

PNP Complement - BC807

Jelly beans about the same price as 3904-06's

Reply to
Hammy

Hah!

Yep, very small die.

What, no PNP equivalent?

I've got BFT92 and BFT93 in the table. How does the BFT25 compare to the BFT92?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Absolutely! Probably the most popular general purpose NPN/PNP pair around.

'2369 is a gold-doped NPN made for switching purposes (dating to my youth :-). I don't know of a complement.

Raytheon CK722 ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

I remember in the old days we were told these were gold-doped, and modern '2369 parts still have the same specs. But are they still gold doped?

Do IC fabs often use gold doping? (Yes, I know a designer can use circuit schemes instead to reduce storage time.) Are there other gold-doped discrete transistors we should know about?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yep, and good for higher currents. Nice beta curves at low Ic.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Win, I don't have an absolute answer for that, but I think they still are.

Original-flavor TTL is still gold doped. But Schottky versions don't need storage control (lifetime killing) doping.

Naturally, CMOS doesn't have saturation in the bipolar sense... quite a God-send for many of my designs.

ECL, MECL, PECL avoid the issue by simply being current steering only.

I'll ask around. ...Jim Thompson

How do you clean off the Cosmoline?

Reply to
JeffM

The 2369 complementary is 4208/4258/5771, all sorted from the same process (National DB), and Jim should remind that I already told that him once :-) Still gold doped according to the '96 National DB.

I like the 3904/3906 because of their small geometry. But when in need of higher beta the BC547/557-847/857 in B or C grade are good. For real low current, I like the 5087/5089.

On the other end of the current scale, the Diodes/Zetex ZTX/FMMT618/718 family are real good, but not within Joerg's budget.

BTW, Diodes has extremely interesting MOS/BJT combos (DMB53/54 in real small package) which have well controlled threshold voltage and that I'm designing in, right now, for exactly that reason.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Just as common as the 2n39xx : 2n4401 & 2n4403

Martin Riddle

Yep, those are in there.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I do recall you saying that, but that's not what I find.

2N5771 is made from Process 65, called a "complementary" process to Process 21, which IS gold-doped. That doesn't necessarily mean Process 65 is gold-doped.

I do know for a fact that PNP's made in a gold-doped TTL process have absolutely crappy beta's as in ~1.

That's how I won a coffee bet with Tom Frederiksen... I solved that problem and put useable PNP's on a gold-doped TTL process, see the "Thompson" current mirror configuration at...

...Jim Thompson

Here's what I have so far in the condensed table:

NPN PNP TO-92 SOT-23 TO-92 SOT-23

2N3904 MMBT3904 2N3906 MMBT3906 2N4401 MMBT4401 2N4403 MMBT4403 BC337 BC817 BC327 BC807 2N5089 MMBT5089 2N5087 MMBT5087 BC547C BC847C BC557C BC857C MPSA14 MMBTA14 MPSA64 MMBTA64 ZTX618 FMMT618 ZTX718 FMMT718 PN2369 MMBT2369 2N5771 MMBT5771 2N5550 MMBT5550 2N5401 MMBT5401 MPSA42 MMBTA42 MPSA92 MMBTA92 MPS5179 BFS17 BFT92 BFT93 TIP142 TIP147

with performance details in columns off to the right.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Are you showing the BFT92 as an NPN? Or is it a posting wrap artifact? It's a PNP.

Packaged transistors with Ft's much above 1 GHz are hard to use... they tend to oscillate in any circuit that's not intended to be an oscillator. PHEMTs on the other hand usually behave pretty well.

John

Wasn't it the 74H series that featured gold doping? Burnt a lot of power and had a meager effect?

and also lucky because these CMOS guys don't like gold in their clean rooms.

IIRC there once was an advertising war wrt gold metallization in the area of RF power transistors that was not welcomed by the people who would run a few LDMOS wafers now & then on a line that normally made 74ACxx.

Not sot-23 but sot-223: BFG31 by NXP. Quite nice medium power RF PNP. There are many good NPNs, but PNPs are scarce.

BFR93/BFT93 are OK, too.

NEC NE688xx for low 1/f noise. May not be really better than some others, but at least 1/f is specified at all.

BC850/BC860 as the low noise members of the BC847/48/49/50 and BC857/58/59/60 families. Fit most sockets, hmmm pads of the other family members, too.

FMMT 634TA npn Darlington ZETEX/Diodes, Inc. FMMT 734TA pnp Darlington

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

You should also recall that you asked me that very same question and that I answered, it's written, black on white, in my '86 National databook: Process 65 is an overlay, double diffused, ***gold dopped***, silicon epitaxial device. Complement to process 21.

Same for process, 21.

You were saying that, too...

... and that too...

And you finished by something like, one learns everyday...

Maybe no so, or is it that one forget everyday too? ;-)

--
Thanks,
Fred.

MPSA06 MMBTA06 PZTA06 MPSA56 MMBTA56 PZTA56 (TO-92 SOT-23 SOT-223)

MJE180-182 MJE170-172 (TO-225AA)

2N3055 MJ2955 (TO-3)

Figured that some power types should be added as well...

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Call me stubborn... everyone does ;-)

But I think it was a typo by some uninformed applications writer to state that there was a PNP process with gold doping.

Surfing around I'm not finding anything but our own ears ringing ;-) ...Jim Thompson