Russian/Soviet plasma display panels

IGG1-32 matrix gas-discharge indicator

The drive circuitry for these is fairly complex, if you want to display arbitrary moving images like a TV. I don't think 1970s Soviet microelectronics was up to the task.

Makes me wonder what their original application was, maybe for relatively static displays that were updated infrequently, or some kind of electro-mechanical system like how the ticker-tape display in Times Square and elsewhere worked at one time.

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, probably aimed at ticker tape or news crawler or airport arrivals/departures display like the old mechanical flip displays. Pretty huge (about 8" square), and obviously monochrome so unsuitable for TV.

Looks like a straightforward 64 x 64 matrix, but they've made it to be stackable in both directions so one could make an arbitrarily large display.

Google camera translate makes an amusing mish-mash of the Cyrillic specs.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The display near the ceiling looks familiar

bitrex

There are also 64x64 versions made that are multicolor, orange and green. I find them more appealing, though they are essentially the 32x32 version but bicolor, and slightly less bright. Here is an example of them in use:

Maybe I should buy a few and make my own space display 🤔

Reply to
Reece Beck