ViewSonic plasma TV display problems

ViewSonic VPW505 50" plasma TV is having "issues".

The screen seems to be divided into 6 equal regions: 3 at the top, 3 at the bottom. In the top center region there are vertical stripes of different widths between 1" and 2". Some stripes are solid white, some solid black, and some stripes just distort and tear the displayed video. The top of the entire display was seen to "tear" while video from a laptop was displayed.

What failure does this symptom indicate? I'm hoping someone recognizes this behavior.

A service manual is en route to me. Should arrive in my in-box early next week.

Thanks,

--
DaveC
me@bogusdomain.net