RoHS,Reach,Conflict free..

BOMcheck was upgraded yesterday to become the first fully integrated Conflict Minerals and RoHS, REACH web database for suppliers

The SEC's conflict mineral rule requires US-listed companies to disclose whether their products contain certain metals (tin, tantalum, tungsten, or gold) and whether these metals originate from rebel-held mines which are funding armed conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) region. As most SEC reporting companies prepare to file "DRC conflict undeterminable" on 31 May 2014 for the 2013 reporting period, BOMcheck was upgraded yesterday to become the world's most advanced conflict minerals web database system, to prepare for the 2015 reporting period when large SEC reporting companies must file "DRC conflict free" or "Not DRC conflict free".

Reply to
Robert Baer

The fraction of people who actually do productive work continues to decline.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

No kidding. Better check to make sure Gibson didn't buy any more "Bad Wood".

Reply to
WangoTango

WangoTango wrote

This bullsh*t is filling up our lives.

ROHS is 100% bullsh*t. No evidence of lead etc in dumps entering our food. But there are nice exemptions e.g. the Control & Monitoring Equipment one, good to (reportedly) 2018. So one can still confirm ROHS and use leaded solder. The very expensive (5x the price of 60/40) SAC305 solder works quite well but the difference is say 98% good versus 99.9% good, which on a batch of 10k means 200 duffs, of which

*some* will be discovered by the *customer* no matter how well you test.

REACH is bullsh*t but you can dispose of it with a simple declaration. It actually applies only to firms what use or sell the chemicals - contrary to popular belief.

The gotcha is that a lot of big firms are sending in spreadsheets listing about 200 substances and you have to certify your products contain none of them. This is obviously impossible so you have exactly two options: (a) answer truthfully (and draw attention to the problem, and lose their business, because the useless arrogant t0sser who is in charge of that job more or less owns the company's supply chain management) or (b) say NO and sign it, like everybody else does.

initiative which is impossible to comply with truthfully. For example you are supposed to trace the tantalum in the tan caps back to a specific smelter in Africa. All you can do is sign it....

The biggest scam remains ISO9000. I had a 20 page questionnaire yesterday, packed with the bullsh*t.

The worst thing is the people who seek the jobs in these departments. They self select on the character profile - like the yellow jacket enforcers at airports, some of whom wear the yellow jacket for lunch.

It's not so bad for me (mid 50s and have made the money I need, after

36 years in business) but I feel sorry for my kids who will grow up immersed in this unproductive sh*t.

Maybe one day there will be a backlash but the people who run these schemes are the most powerful in their companies - only just below the top management.

Reply to
John-Smith