RLC bridge

If it's glitches you're after, you can set a digital scope to infinite persistance, and maybe glitch-mode triggering, and let it run overnight. Or you can use an analog scope, stare at it all night, with neither blinking nor beer allowed.

We have one digital scope up here in engineering, a 1 GHz 7104 with microchannel plate CRT. It's available, on a cart, and I haven't used it in years.

I just gave my brand-new Tek TDS2024C to my test people, who wanted one anyhow, and I got a DPO2024. It gorgeous, beautiful big LCD, lower noise and more memory than the TDS. Everybody's happy.

I've loved oscilloscopes since I was a kid. I played with my uncle's Eico when I could barely walk, and got my own Heathkit OM-3 when I was about 11. Rob wants to get an Agilent 4-ch 1 GHz mixed-signal scope. It's about $11K, but Agilent is selling refurbs for 45% off, so maybe we'll get one. It's not fast enough for stuff like PCI Express, but hopefully we won't be probing anything like that. But can I let one of my engineers have a faster scope than I have? That doesn't seem right.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

sellers.

I have a 2467, which is the 2465 with the microchannel CRT. A thing of great beauty, but it doesn't get used that often.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My clients usually want to know right now what's wrong. Infinite persistence does not help because the noise does not always show up in the same place.

I have done several sessions like that with a Pilsener or two in my belly :-)

I have to confess that I use DSOs more than the analog ones and my old low-BW analog scope is even in the storage closet.

I always loved "panoramic adaptors" which are essentially poor man's spectrum analyzers that hook up in front of the IF strip of a radio. Only rich ham radio guys had those and I built mine around an analog scope.

Tell them to consider it a loaner scope from da boss :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

sellers.

Tell that to Joerg.

Reply to
krw
[...]

Wait until you have your first case of noise of unknown origin :-)

My Tek 7704 doesn't get a lot of use either these days but if it does it's usually cases where a DSO simply can't see stuff. Often the 7704 shows me what's there, I get a grasp of the spectral composition of the noise, and only then can I train my DSO on it. Mostly to be able to put that in the client report because snapping a photo off of the 7704 is more hassle.

My main reason for preferring the DSO is ecological. Pulling the magic button on the 7704 results in a *TUNGGG* sound and you can almost hear the amps flowing. These things were designed when nobody gave a hoot about amps and watts and energy in general. The engineers back then cruised around in cars like the Plymouth Fury. The DSO only sips power, you can run it all day long and the lab temperature won't rise a bit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It certainly is that seldom for me. I can't remember the last time I actually needed an analog scope. It was likely long enough ago that I didn't even

*have* a DSO. ;-)

Come on! Test equipment isn't necessary for government to waste money.

Reply to
krw

sellers.

That probably has to do with the fact that our lines of work are very different. I do a lot of very noise-sensitive pulse-echo stuff. Until DSOs have an instantaneous dynamic range of more than 80dB plus trace repetition rates of several million per second they won't be very useful for a lot of my measurements. A lot of water will flow down the Mississippi until that happens.

True. In California they currently prefer the "High-Speed Train to Nowhere" for that purpose.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I bought it only about a year ago, so I don't need convincing. I also have a Tek 475 right next to my bench.

You're going all European on us. ;) Compared to turning down the heat by a degree or two, a scope is a drop in the bucket.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We get several calls/emails a year with some complaint/ question that's due to alaising. (' course these are (fellow) physicists.) Digital sources into DSO's seem to make it easy.

Thanks for the peak detect trick, Nico.

Our standard answer is to ask them to think, "What's the frequency of interest and 'your' time base"?

Suggesting 'pushing the right buttons' may save a few calls.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Would a linear to logarithmic pre-amplifier help to get more dynamic range on a scope? I guess it will take some time to get used to look at signals like that.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

actually

It would *show* more dynamic range but that's why we have the vertical gain knob. ;-) OTOH, it doesn't help the noise floor a bit so you haven't gained anything. Better bandwidth selection might help some.

Reply to
krw

Interesting... What kind of rabbit ears do you use to probe your bench space?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Don't you mean "analog scope"?

Mine is on a cart, too. Lots of storage for extra plugins.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Yes, I meany analog.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The same ones we used to watch Bonanza and Lassie before I was in school. Nearly all the gold color has flaked off after about half a century, it's rather ugly by now, but works. It looks like a big bowtie without reflector. The good thing is it has a heavy steel foot so it won't tip over and a gooseneck that allows me to adjust where it points.

In fact, I used that thing at a client to find EMC issues. Hovering over all the parts of the installation I could pinpoint hotspots, then chase stuff with the near field set (I use the EMCO kit). Then they passed class B.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

You have an invitation to visit us in August and spend a couple hours in my lab, that might change your mind :-)

Hint: The A/C is typically not running ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

actually

Not really. Sometimes I have to detect a faint pulsating "thickening" of the trace somewhere and a logamp would easily make that go under. 8-bits is simply useless for stuff like that. To add insult to injury, that noise is generally totally asynchronous, meaning the thickening wanders or whizzes through. So any kind of averaging on a DSO is hopeless.

Think of it this way: The (analog) eye of a well trained driver can detect a faint glistening 100ft or more to the side of the road in the brush, a few hundred feet ahead, and cause the driver to set the foot onto the brake. Sure enough, five seconds later a big deer jumps into the road. BT. The glistening was the eyes of the deer. That is totally impossible for an automated system based on digitized image input.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'd love to come--you think NoCal is bad in August, I invite you to New York.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But most people up there run the A/C all day long. Here in the office/lab it can easily be 90F or more. Those are not my favorite days to start a major SPICE simulation session or used too many of the boat anchors. Sometimes it can't be avoided and then I start very early in the morning.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to