End time for Wheezy?

Has wheezy been replaced by jessie yet? If not, does anybody know when the change-over will happen?

As a subsidiary question, can I make the changeover by editing /etc/apt/ sources.list by simply replacing 'wheezy' by 'jessie' or 'stable' and doing a normal package update or is there something else I should do, equivalent to running Fedora's fedup process?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Shouldn't be a problem. However, usual caveats apply, and I've only done this with PCs and laptops.

My usual way of doing this is to first do a full upgrade, then change the name (and yes, this time I simply swapped in jessie), do an update, then a dist-upgrade.

You 'can' do it via synaptic, but in the past I've had problems where gui stuff that synaptic is using gets changed! :(

--
W J G
Reply to

No. No.

Yes, but be prepared to restore to an old backup if things go wrong.

I've been using jessie headless on two Pi for months now, although I had to disable systemd and go back to sysvinit. Those issues may have been fixed now, but the Foundation aren't going to officially support jessie until all their packages work seamlessly with it.

Reply to
Dom

Thanks for that info.

Fair enough, but how and when will that announcement be made?

I'm still thinking about making a once-and-for-all change to 'stable' rather than to 'jessie'. Presunable 'stable' remains mapped to wheezy until they are happy that everything is working OK under jessie. I don't much mind when the change happens as I don't use fully automatic updating. I do updates as an explicit, weekly "backup then update" action and I'm not bothered about the change to systemd since Fedora's last four releases have used it and it pretty much 'just works' for me.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Debian does not work the way you seem to be thinking. Jessie has been released - it IS the new stable. Wheezy will continue to be supported as 'old stable' for some time.

You probably would not want to change 'wheezy' to 'stable' - because when a new stable is released it would be automatically installed when you did updates. I always recommend waiting a while before upgrading. In theory, changing to 'jessie' then doing 'apt-get update' 'apt-get upgrade' 'apt-get dist-upgrade' should complete the upgrade for you but, as you've been advised, it's always best to make a backup (at least of 'essential' data) first.

Reply to
ray carter

Who is talking about Debian? It's Raspbian that matters in this case, and wheezy is still the current stable in that arena.

I believe the next official image to be released by the RPF will be jessie, and at that point jessie will become the new Raspbian stable.

An announcement will be made in the official blog at that time.

Reply to
Dom

I had a go at installing the Mate 1.6.1 desktop on my RPi2 wheezy, and liked it (once I'd fixed the Mint-X-Fixed theme). So I thought I'd just see what the Jessie was like as it has Mate 1.8.1. I had intended to wind it back, but it's proved very stable so far, and is working well, may be even a touch smoother in operation. The only issue I had was sound didn't work at first, but that was fixed within 30 seconds of googling.

---druck

Reply to
druck

True enough, I guess, if you insist on sticking to rpi foundation images. raspbian.org at least has jessie repositories.

Reply to
ray carter

Looking at

we can see that Raspbian unsurprisingly uses the some suites and codenames as Debian: oldstable -> wheezy stable -> jessie testing -> stretch

What the RPF uses for their images is their own decision of course.

The second part of the sentence is not correct; it's not the RPF which decides about Raspbian but Raspbian.

gregor

 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Alanis Morisette: So Unsexy
Reply to