RIP John Conway

From the SVFIG mailing list...

On 8 April 2020, Conway, who had been struggling with health problems for y ears, developed a fever from COVID-19. On 11 April 2020, Conway died at age 82.

There's a tribute on xkcd ...
The Game of Life has been a popular topic i n the Forth community:

Sorry to see him go.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

Seconded; I had not heard that news. I must knuckle down and read the second half of "Genius at Play: The Curious Mind of John Horton Conway" by Siobhan Roberts. (Priced at $30 according to the dust jacket.)

I programmed his Game of Life as an exercise, partly in Assembler, for my Psion pocket computer decades ago.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Thanks for letting me know. I vividly remember having dinner with him circa 1975 while I was still a teenager. It was a life changing experience. He taught me his HP-65 calculator and a few years later I was wealthy enough to buy my own HP-67 which I still use almost daily.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

I designed a primitive color graphics generator ca 1970, for a PDP-11. The first thing we did with it was program Life in assembler.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com