Re: John Simonton RIP

John Simonton died of cancer last week. He wrote many do-it-yourself

>articles in magazines such as his own Polyphony (which later became >Electronic Musician) back in the late '60s - practical audio and MIDI >gadgets that you could build, aided with partial and full kits of parts >from his part time garage operation, Paia Electronics. His articles, >kits, and manuals were an education in music electronics that you just >couldn't get anywhere else.

I recall I got about the second issue of Polyphony, 4/76, when it was 'small' format, after getting the PAIA catalog. I think I subscribed most of the time until it became Electronic Musician. I recall reading John's and others' articles and making a few circuits from the magazine, as well reading EM interviews with people such as Larry Fast.

>I never met John, but I corresponded with him in the early Paia days, >and later when I was thinking of putting together some DIY projects. He >was thorough and patient, and I'm a bit sad that I'll never get to say >thanks personally. > >While John hasn't published much in recent years, Paia has continued to >sell kits and John had continued to dream up the occasuional new >gadget. John will be missed by those who knew him personally and by his >writings, > >The company will continue, with someone the family considers suitable >and qualified at the helm. (and, no, I don't know who) > >
Ben Bradley

I remember the first time I heard a guitar played thru a PAiA attack envelope modifier. The strangest sound--like a tape in reverse.

Reply to
JeffM

Ben Bradley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, this absolutely sucks. One of the first kits I bought was a PAIA Gnome. This was when the shop was in North OKC. Britton Road? Anyway, one thing I really liked about John was his approachability. There were several times I had odd problems to solve, and I could just call him up to ask for direction or advise. He will be missed.

Reply to
Dan Major