Rigol scope step responses

As an undergrad EE I needed 1 more hour of lab credit, I petitioned to take "grad lab" from the physics department. They had cool toys, For one lab credit I got NMR, x-ray diffraction and the Mossbauer effect.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I took the traditional "modern physics" course, so we got to do all that kind of stuff: atomic spectra, gamma rays banging off of atoms (Compton shift), putting random metals into a tin-can-with-beryllium-infused-plutonium-core "neutron howitzer" and measuring the activation, stuff like that.

Also took chemistry, so I cooked up more than a few inorganic and organic compounds, and subjected them to various analytical methods (AAS, IR and NMR being the most suitable at that lab).

Seeing ppm shifts in frequency, from mere atoms, is cool shit.

I've seen a few amateurs looking into NQR (quadrupole -- zero field required). It's wide band, and I presume an even weaker response. I haven't seen any real strong results yet, but it's a cool idea I'd like to try sometime.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

I knew a prof trying to do NQR with a marginal oscillator. All I can remember was he spent a lot of time growing single crystals.

I think the first thing you need is a good sample.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold