alkalines are pretty good

My Duracell AA measures 1.61048 and seems very stable in a normal room environment. I'll check it now and then. It definitely shows a negative TC.

I need to hack a circuit to make a 100 ohm RTD look like a type T thermocouple, and battery power looks OK.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

I haven't measured alkaline internal resistance in a long time, but values close to 1 ohm seem high. It is a shame he didn't include a room temp value.

His cold temperature measurements don't match Energizer data:

Reply to
miso

"miso the pisshead"

** Typical AA alkalines tests 0.1 ohms impedance, when fresh and will deliver about 12 amps into a short.

An " Energiser Advanced " AA cell tests 0.05 ohms and is claimed to last 50% longer in digital cameras with their notoriously high load currents.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And why the f*ck am I declared the pisshead when I was the one who found the error in the data? Has Phil been drinking his own urine again?

I'm thinking Dr. KFS was out sick the day they taught about Lord Kelvin and his contact method.

I did the 1KHz test to get impedance. I don't know if there is COTS gear to do that, but you can design your own with any number of precision current sense chips. Once you have an accurate current measurement, use a true RMS DVM and you can measure the impedance. The idea is for the DUT to be the power source at the same time.

Reply to
miso

Very high for AA. They will usually source at least 10A into a short circuit at reduced terminal voltage shortly before they explode.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

** So what voltage do they deliver into that short, exactly ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well he said it was "reduced" terminal voltage... :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Lemmie guess... this retard has such a zero life that he sits around all day performing retarded tests on various pieces of his electrical gear.. all so he can act as if he is current here, where he is so well respected..

You are current, Phil. The thing is, however, you only represent a picoamp or two.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Depends on the resistance of the "short", dork.

So, where are your ideal ZERO Ohm shorting devices at? That's right, DIPSHIT! You do not have any.

ISTR you saying "do the math'. It is, after all, the most basic electronic formula set there is. We call it Ohm's Law.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Chemistry question: is chemical/ionic conduction slower than metallic?

 Click to see the full signature

It is possible to short the terminals of a battery to exactly 0 volts, or even less, without using superconductors.

 Click to see the full signature

Yep, just use a power supply and force it to 0 volts.

Reply to
tm

Yes, that is the phraseology utilized when describing this observation methodology.

Accurately so? And the conductors through which the shorting element is connected to the battery with?

Or do you refer to a back biased, artificial loading model?

Are you sure that method can accurately track when the 'battery''s load crosses through the zero Ohm point?

Presumptions can be made about behavior when presented with an electronic 'loading" 'stimulus'.

Claims can be made about how closely said testing regimens data actually track real world circuit characteristics. But one certainly must know exactly what one is doing *at-the-bench* before one goes to making such claims, and I am not even talking about superconductor stuff. I am talking about Regular Old Earth lab fare, Bub.

Reply to
MrTallyman

And the meter on that supply is sensed INSIDE the supply case, which means that you have just proven that you have no clue what is being presented to the battery itself, much less how to accurately read it, OR load it scientifically. You make claim which has zero basis in fact.

i.e YOU ARE one of the parasitic effects.

Reply to
MrTallyman

I never said to use the "meter inside the supply", you did.

Ever heard of Kelvin sensing?

Reply to
tm

Obviously one would make a 4-wire Kelvin connection to the battery terminals and close a loop to force zero volts at the sense points. That would be as accurate as anybody would reasonably need.

As a practical matter, a few measurements with various passive loads, still Kelvin connected, would allow extrapolation of the battery's internal resistance. When an alkaline battery is shorted, the resistance increases rapidly, so a super-precise measurement is kinda meaningless.

 Click to see the full signature

Yes and no. Batteries have a lot of capacitance, which can discharge fast, but bulk charge transport speed is limited by ion diffusion.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Idiot. I am the one who told you your declared set-up was missing elements.

Reply to
MrTallyman

Hey s*****ad, I characterized those batteries for designing DC/DC converters. Never trust a batter manufacturer. You need to characterize the chemistry yourself. Nobody is going to powder your bottom after you spent a few hundred thousand dollars designing a chip only to find the model was wrong.

Reply to
miso

Learn to read, dork boy. I was talking TO PHIL, ABOUT PHIL.

I have made supplies which had three inputs and would auto-switch between all three, 85 - 265 AC, 28V DC, or a 24 V DC battery array. Also, he AC switcher input would actually work if the feed into it were DC as well.

And would also keep up a +5V standby so a last second core dump could be performed. That was only a small piece of the spec.

We had noise specs, which we were the best in the industry at meeting and beating as well.

I made some of the best X-Ray supplies there are. The cleaner the DC, the cleaner the X-Ray flux produced, and the cleaner the imagery is.

Reply to
MrTallyman