Will this damage anything?

I have a flat screen LCD computer monitor which needs a transformer for power. I dont have this transformer. I can get one on ebay for around $15, but before I spend the money, I want to make sure the monitor works. It needs 24 volts at 1.2 Amps DC. I have one from an old Laptop computer that has an output of 16 volts 3.6 Amps DC. The amperage is fine, but the voltage is 8 volts low. The power plug (to monitor) is the same as needed.

I just want to be sure the monitor powers up and operate it for a minute. Is there any chance of damaging the monitor or transformer of I connect it to the monitor? Or will it even power it up?

Reply to
jackson30904

correct polarity?

Reply to
N_Cook

YES

Reply to
jackson30904

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 1:49:12 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@private.com w rote:

If the polarity is correct, it definitely won't harm the "transformer", and I don't see how the monitor would be damaged either. I've repaired thousa nds of monitors with bad caps, and the resulting low voltage *and* ripple n ever bothered the monitors. I don't know if your monitor will start 8 volts low, and my guess is that it won't, but try it anyway.

Reply to
John-Del

It won't hirt anything,but the monitor may not start either. YOu can use several D size batteries or even smaller rechargabel batteries in series with the power supply to make up the voltage. They will not last long, so make this a quick test.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I like it. Perhaps add a fuse as well, while at it.

Reply to
N_Cook

It probably needs the 24volts. There's no reason to specify a high voltage if it's not needed.

There is no expectation that the voltage might come from a variety of sources, in this case the power supply is external either because it was easier to get UL approval with the external supply, or perhaps because the supply might fail and it's easier to change the power supply if it's external. So they picked the needed voltage in the first place.

Keep looking. Ever since the move to switching supplies rather than 60Hz transformer based power supplies, the world is alive with no longer needed external power supplies, and they all have good current rating, and offer a wide selection of voltages. If the first one you find isn't the right voltage, keep looking, chances are good you'll find one in the garbage or at a friend's place, they no longer needing it. I'm sure I've pulled

24vdc supplies out of tossed out inkjet printers (they tend to need a higher voltage) so that's another place to look.

The big issue is to make sure you wire it properly so the polarity is right for the monitor.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Often the same electronic equipment is used in several countries. They all have differnant kinds of power and plugs. It is easy to use a differant external supply instead of building differant ones into the equipment.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery