Rigol oscilloscope prices have sky-rocketed!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

y.

ly,

at

ine

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

log.com

I didn't want the scope. [I'm the one that suggested getting a used Tek versus Chinese mystery gear.] I'm just very doubtful of the story. Ebay has as much to lose from dissing a seller as to dissing an manufacturer. In fact, more to lose from dissing the seller since the manufacturer isn't sell their product on ebay.

Basically, the story doesn't pass the smell test. Now if Rigol cut out the sleazy dealers, that would also explain the scope not being on ebay, right? It is far easier for Rigol to not give the jerk gear to sell rather than try to get ebay to prevent the sale.

Doctor, it hurts when I do this. Well, stop doing that!

Reply to
miso

I have heard from two people who have contacted previous Rigol ebay sellers directly, and both have said their listings were pulled for the same "dumping" reason. So there is no reason to doubt the story.

Ebay already make so much money the commisions on these scopes are nothing to them. It is more important to them that they be seen to be acting on complaints. It's been happening for many years now, nothing new here at all.

Wrong. As I said, there are plenty of places to buy this scope wholesale cheaply in China, so I imagine it would be hard for Rigol to cut out these small time ebay sellers directly. There were so many cut price Rigol sellers on ebay you didn't know were to look, everyone simply jumped on the Rigol popularity bandwagon, flipping it for a profit to us westerners from whomever they bought it from in China. There were zero reported cases of any dodgy sellers. All that are left now are a couple of the expensive sellers.

Nope, much easier for someone (maybe Rigol directly, we don't know) to simply complain to Ebay and let them use their famous overzealous legal paranoia to block all cheap sellers. Doing it the other way around would be like pushing brown stuff up a hill with a pointy stick.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Would it work if I just connect HV windings together? So as to avoid any rewounding job.

-ek

Yes, although MOTs, being cheaply made are likely to run close to saturation, so you may find they behave slightly less well than a properly rated isolation transformer. By all means try it, as the raw materials are available often for free, and take great care of the HV, which WILL kill you easily! Make sure you connect the cores to a good mains earth.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

..

two

the

with

ng

If you have to do it - try using a pair of 240 - 110v / 48v / 24v units back to back or other matching voltage low voltage surplus transformers.

I did this 25 odd years back using 2 surplus (free) 240v to 24v @15a units back to back, and it worked fine for many years. It wont be as efficient as a single purpose designed transformer, and will be heavier and run hotter.

Remembering that there will be 2 lots of losses, and that normal transformers aren't designed to be used "backwards", you will NOT get the full rated VA out of this arrangement, it will cost more in electricity use.

I wouldn't even contemplate that idea of putting microwave HT windings back to back - it would be an absolutely totally and instantly LETHAL device if anything went wrong, not just an irritating "ZAP". Please, Please Please do NOT muck about with these things. these voltages (remember that unlike TV EHT supplies these oven transformers have plenty of current behind them) can even punch through damaged or underrated insulated tool handles and to your hand, delivering a lethal shock !

If there was a breakdown to the output winding, which could possibly happen with old parts - specially ones from faulty microwaves pulled from rubbish dumps, or that had mouse / insect infestations - I would hate to think what could possibly happen to anyone or anything connected on the 240v isolated "secondary" side.

If you didnt join the 2 HT windings together in a proper way, and insulate properly the connection point could even arc, starting a fire.

Either physically remove the HT winding first if you are going to muck around with it, or better still, just do yourself a favour and chuck the microwave oven transformer (and the modification idea) in the rubbish bin before someone gets killed.

Reply to
kreed

.

not

Ouch ! That is one hell of a transformer :)

Reply to
kreed

"Mike Harrison"

** Sorry pal - but you are DEAD WRONG !!

** CLOSE to SATURATION ?

How about HARD INTO SATURATION !!!

The off-load primary rms current is typically ** 75% ** of the full on-load current !!!

How about 1250VA consumption - OFF LOAD !!!!

**ROTFLMAO

The Poms are still the MASTERS of understatement !!!

** VERY BAD ADVICE !!

** In the case of " E", Darwin might be well pleased.

.... Phil

Make sure you connect the cores to a good mains earth.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sounds more like parallel importing and selling at a lower price than the local dealer, rather than 'dumping'. That's not illegal in USAor NZ. Dunno about Oz.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

the

=A0Dunno

Bingo. Only the manufacturer can dump. Like I said, the story doesn't pass the smell test. Further, nobody has pointed out on ebays website where they would take such action.

The issue is by refusing to sell something, you also subject yourself to legal action. This is why most companies simply wait for the temporary injunction before taking action.

Reply to
miso

Don't let it worry you, most of the people running big business don't understand it either ;-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

It's probably legal in Australia. I know of of at least one pro photo dealer who sells Canon and Nikon SLRs and equipment from two sources. They source their stuff through legal distributors as well as the do import themselves, many items have two prices and they do explain pitfalls of buying a cheaper one. It's nice to have a choice when you understand what you are getting into.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Well, today one of the EE's in the shop left work unexpectedly , shortly after, the IT guy said he needed to get into his office because he was told to extract his HD "C:" drive.

Our EE friend didn't return from where ever it was, he went today.

Maybe he didn't understand big business either? :)

We're not exactly sure what happen at this point, but I told the rest of my colleagues, this is a good time to start a rumor! We'll find out tomorrow, I am sure. :)

Reply to
Jamie

n the

=A0Dunno

ler who sells Canon and Nikon SLRs and equipment from two sources. They sou= rce their stuff through legal distributors as well as the do import themsel= ves, many items have two prices and they do explain pitfalls of buying a ch= eaper one. It's nice to have a choice when you understand what you are gett= ing into.

We have that in the US, and for the same products. Here we call it gray market. You don't get a US warranty, but you do get to return defective merchandise, so at least you don't get stuck with a dud. I'm using a gray market lens from Canon that has to be 12 years old. No issues. But you only go gray market if the price difference is significant. I don't think I'd get a camera body gray market. Too many things to go wrong.

Reply to
miso

:

happened

:

isolated

can't

stuff,

here.

=A0

..

from DC to any sort of

be a waste of money.

Not only that, but the regulations on power factor correction and = harmonics=20 are getting more stringent all the time. I would start worrying about=20 what way a PFC input would respond to modified sine.

Reply to
JosephKK

inverter.

out

sine

sine

220V capstan motor.

into a main transformer

wave oscillator.

transformer, cost was low too.

maybe

too.

for

bipolars to

use

Since it is often for single frequency use often just modulated PWM. =20 Variable frequency drives are a little different, and closer to=20 class D amplifiers. The really interesting circuits do things like=20 regenerative breaking (in cars) and have main power loss stand up (for over ten seconds) by turning the induction motor into a generator.

Reply to
JosephKK

.

was

lucky, not

just

car

Naw, at operating frequency of 50/60 Hz that is only about 2000 VA.

Reply to
JosephKK

..

that

from two

and the

together with

building

intended

Not that i recommend that inexperienced persons try such, i do not. Just the same, while i recognize the potential problems, i have no=20 unreasoning fear of them. Nor am i such a nanny type as to insist=20 on trying to prevent anyone from doing something odd but useful.

Thus i find you to be quite an obnoxious prunt.

Reply to
JosephKK

any=20

The closest translation i can propose is "cover the whole pot".

Reply to
JosephKK

I wish my car would regenerate when it's broken :-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

I think the terms Pott and Deckel are used together in German more like "made for one another" is in Engish. Something like "wie Pott und Deckel" to mean "well-suited for each other." So 'wie' here is more like the English word "as" or "alike" than the denoted translation into "how."

The phase "Pott wie Deckel" then looks to me more like some kind of "all the same as" phrase. So the result is then more like "it is all the same as." As I read it, anyway. And thanks very much, Jörg, for the idiom!

This is the kind of thing I could _never_ produce on my own, lacking experience. But when I _read_ it from someone else like Jörg writing it, I can dredge up some past training about it and seem to gather it. I can read German rather somewhat more fluently than I can produce the darned stuff! I sure wish I had someone local to train with. I wonder if Jörg needs a personal butler for a while! ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan