Ribbon cable termination

In a project, I am planning to use a flat ribbon cable, Z0 ~ 100 Ohms, with a length of about 3 feet to connect a couple of logic boards. I am wondering what is the best way to terminate the cable. From my readings, I am thinking that I will want to terminate near the receiving connector with a 100 Ohm resistor and a small capacitor for a typical AC termination scheme. From that point, my plan would be to pick up the signal with a schmitt trigger buffer / inverter to drive the logic that receives this signal. This goes against the concept of terminating the line past the last receiver, but it does terminate it at the point where the 100 Ohm cable hits the PCB traces. From the point of ribbon / pcb interface, the connection length to the schmitt trigger will be short, under a couple of inches.

I am also thinking that it should be suitable to drive the circuit with standard logic gates as they have a much lower output impedance than the cable.

Does this approach sound correct or is there a better way?

In case it matters, there will be various address, data, control and a clk signal corresponding to the addresses and data transmitted by ribbon cable.

Reply to
Noway2

Noway2, The best way to terminate the cable is to use a differential line receiver. Most of them give you the option of using a buit-in termination resistor (usually approximately 125 Ohms) or using your own termination resistor.

Reply to
Jon

Would I then need a differential transmitter too or is the differential input simply the signal and ground?

Reply to
Noway2

You can use a differential reciever in a single ended fashion, with one input connected to ground. A differential transmitter-receiver pair will give you the best common mode noise immunity.

Reply to
Jon

Thank you for the suggestion. Initially I was thinking about using a

34 pin ribbon connection and running a parallel bus. I am starting to consider using a smaller, perhaps 10 pin, ribbon connection and running a few lines of signal. I want to use a mass termination (ribbon or similar) cable because of manufacturing considerations.
Reply to
Noway2

On 19/01/2006 the venerable Noway2 etched in runes:

The 'old-fashioned' way of terminating logic lines was 220R to Ground and 330R to +5V. I think that SIL terminators are still available.

--
John B

Delete \'spam blocker\' to reply direct
Reply to
John B

to +5V. I think that

If you're terminating TTL, you've got it upside down. Also, an "active termination" is one where you have that 330/220 voltage divider connected to the base of an NPN transistor, with an additional 330R (or so) to each line.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello John,

to +5V. I think that

We called them space heaters. I usually prefer AC termination, much lower dissipation.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Yes, frequency dependent of course, but 82 ohms in series with 220pF is quite common.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

On 20/01/2006 the venerable Rich Grise etched in runes:

. . .

or ars* over t*t as some might say but I prefer head over heels.

. . .

Thanks Rich. Too much Merlot again (me not you).

--
John B

Delete \'spam blocker\' to reply direct
Reply to
John B

Whatever standard logic gates mean to you. If a common mode range of almost zero is acceptable, then I'd use LVDS, dissipating just 3mA into 100 Ohms is not much.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Hello Paul,

220pF seems a bit high for a short cable. I try to use a value large enough to muffle reflection spikes but small enough not to mess with the load characteristics in the frequency range of the data.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I think I have talked myself into a varient of SPI using LVDS transcievers over an 8 wire ribbon cable. I am thinking that I will use a master clock, from the main controller, with a data in and data out channel, like SPI. There are no addresses or enabled to worry about since it is a single point to point channel. The varient comes in to play in that I am going to have one line driven by the slave board that is a INT to the computer board. That way, I shouldn't even have to poll the board to see if it is ready. I am also planning on implementing CRC in the messages as this is easy to do in hardware with a serial transmission, though the electrical properties of the medium should make errror occurances very low. Another nice thing about this arrangement is that I will have two drivers and two receivers at both ends, which is a common configuration for differential transcievers and I can then use the same part in both places.

Again, thanks to everybody for their help,

Reply to
Noway2