RF bipolars RIP

I just told Bonnie to nab 11K of the PNP transistor. That will give me time to redesign.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why is NXP killing off their RF parts? Why not just bump the price 5x or so?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Or rhinestone lettering :-)

Aren't those with the tantalum issues? I don't mind an ugly unit that works for decades. Also, my 7704A ain't that bad-looking. Now the power supply goes zzzt at times but it's around 30 years old.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Probably related to the Nexperia spinoff. I guess neither the Chinese nor NXP wanted their RF jellybeans.

NXP started killing off the BFG series parts some years ago--I used to really like the BFG25A, which was a BFT25A but twice as fast. I did order a reel of BFG403W (the 17 GHz version), but I expect its Early voltage is fairly putrid by comparison. Still, they were on sale for 9 cents, so it was worth a roll of the dice since there won't be another chance.

Next reel will be BFT92s.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The SPICE model in the BFG403W datasheet has VAF=36V, vs. 50V for the BFT25A. So not as putrid as all that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What was so special about the actual trannie you were speaking about? I mean your emphasis on it being a 600mW device? Why is that such a big deal? There are plenty of RF trannies that can dissipate that sort of power.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's a SOT89 5 GHz PNP. Output capacitance is 2 pF. I work wideband, time domain, so I can't tune out capacitance.

Thing is, I can't find an equivalent anywhere. There is some 600 MHz Ft stuff, but that's too slow. The SOT23 types would fry at 600 mW.

I wonder how much power a SOT23 or SC70 transistor could dissipate with radical top-and-bottom heat sinking. Gotta try that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Some day, I'm going to try to build a proton triode. Just to see how truly awful its performance is.

Should be, if one can arrange a comparable density of space charge, at low energy, into the space of what's otherwise a normal e.g. 12AX7 cathode, it'll be a paltry ~1umho transconductance.

Would be fun to see the transit time on a nearly human scale (well, us instead of ns), though.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Tsk...

Truly, the art of the peaking coil has been long lost...

(Not that you necessarily want to do it in a production setting, but hey, you're the one conflating "can't" with "won't". ;-) )

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Peaking coils only get you a factor of 1.4 (series peaking) to 2.8 (constant resistance T-coil). Not chopped liver, but not a factor of 8 either.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I am so glad I gave up discrete design for asic design over 20 years ago...

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

What is nowadays considered full-blown voodoo is when you break off a piece of ferrite, dip into into a drop of liquid nails construction glue because that's what they had around, stick it next to a trace and suddenly everything miraculously quiets down.

"What's that pill you glued in there?" ... "Oh, that? Soylent Green".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Re-designs triggered by component obsolescence are part of the revenue stream for circuit design engineers. As long as it was not the caused by them or at least it's been a few decades.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You could add a grid to an alpha or beta battery. It would need a lot of grid control voltage.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Oh, I'm doing that already. 2 pF is a heap of capacitance, and every picosecond counts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I enjoy discrete design. I can hack a breadboard myself in an afternoon, or get a board in a week. And an iteration doesn't cost megabucks.

The thing that I'm designing could maybe be done in an IC, but nobody does. Well, I think ADI does but it's not public.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I soldered a flap of copper tape across the top of a power opamp with a heat pad.. soic-8, it helped some.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Where you getting the protons? Hydrogen plasma? (I'd love to find a cheap way to make protons... Diode laser-Lamb shift- somewhere near 650 nm.

I've always wanted to make an ionic resistor (in water) and measure the Johnson noise...

About equally useful.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh sorry, I thought I was responding to Phil H. Do you know what the Lamb shift is?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

All resistors of a given value must have the same Johnson noise. Unless there's something electro-chemical or photoelectric or something extra going on.

They don't all have to have the same shot noise.

Or bubble noise.

I wonder if the mass of ions changes the frequency response.