RF Detector? RF Power measurement?

I'm trying to design RF signal strength detector as my project. Can anyone tell me about the design? I got a circuit from net, but it has the blocks RF DETECTOR & BIAS. Can anyone explain what do they mean? please give me the details.

Sudhakar.

Reply to
SUDHAKAR

Answering those questions is part of the project. Looks like you're going to have to do some real work all by yourself. If you don't even know where to look, I suggest you find an easier project, like turning on an LED with a switch and battery.

Reply to
Rick

Broadband DC to 60GHz ? Powerwise from -150 to +30dBm ? What kind of antenna did you have in mind ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

A cheap tool for fault finding the low level transmitting stages of, say, a two-way radio. Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?

CU JC

Reply to
John Crighton

For some ideas, try Google on "Field Strength Meter". This will show you schematic of diode detectors with small pickup antennas. Also the ARRL and RSGB handbooks have schematics.

To detect small RF signals, you may want to bias the detector diode in the forward direction, to overcome the "diode drop" effect.

Chances are your meter does not have to accurately read field strength in volts per meter, but if you do want to calibrate it, a key word is "Effective Length" of your rod or dipole antenna.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Lascelles