RF jock?

Hi,

I'm thinking about maybe going into the RF power amp business, which is weird because we know roughly nothing about RF. If you are, or know of, a really serious, quantitative RF designer, 20-600 MHz range, you might zap me a resume or a link or whatever. It could be either an employment or consulting situation.

This is in the exploration stage, but might happen fast.

Thanks,

John

jjlarkin atsymbol highlandtechnology doobie complications.

John

Hello John,

Did a few of these. Mostly under 20MHz but the techniques are similar unless you go above a GHz or so. The last one I was involved in a few months ago was 10MHz 100W. Most do more than 10MHz but that's all they usually need for driving ultrasound transducers.

The biggest one was a hobby project with two tubes the size of pickle jars. The device that limited its power capabilities was the 15A mains circuit breaker (240V line...) and, of course, the law ;-)

Resume is on my web site. Employment wouldn't be possible, consulting would be but it's going to be pretty packed 'til mid summer.

If you decide to take the plunge into this biz make sure you have a good consultant in during the early design phases, not after the layout is done. Saves big $$$. And "know thy load". It is really crucial to ask potential customers about that before submitting a bid. For example, PZT can crack and suddenly the RF amp sees a huge impedance jump too fast for the Vref bridge to shut it down. Bzzzt.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg