OT: Dakota Pipeline Steel

Okay, we've all heard that Trump asked "who made the pipe" re: the Dakota oil pipeline, and wanted it to come only from U. S. manufacturers.

So now the Left is screaming that it's made by a Russian firm, so therefore Trump is the Manchurian Candidate.

Uh, weren't the import permits for the pipe approved while Obama was in office?

What's the debating term for accusing your opponent of doing something you've been doing all along, but it was OK when you did it?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

IIRC Trump said that he wanted the steel for the Keystone pipeline to only come from US manufacturers. That's fine, very well. But if that was a campaign promise and not just an idle wish, it means that to keep it those contracts would have to have been re-negotiated right away.

Which it looks like they wont be, because it appears the way the legislation was actually written the "US Only" stipulation would apply only to pipelines still in the design phase, or for repairs:

"The way that the Executive Order is written is actually ... specific to new pipelines or those that are being repaired," the spokeswoman said. 'Since [Keystone] is already currently under construction ... it was hard to go back. Everything moving forward would be all under that executive order.'"

Yeah, no shit that would be hard to do, as anyone could've told you. So clearly what happened was the administration realized that at some point, and re-jiggered the wording.

I don't know who these people you're referring to that are calling him the "Manchurian Candidate" over this are. From my perspective it has very little to do with what the Obama administration did or did not do, and more to do with the act of saying you're going to do one thing, and then when push comes to shove actually doing quite another, which is kind of the definition of hypocrisy.

Reply to
bitrex

SOP for DemocRATs. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

The reason he hasn't paid taxes is that he isn't out of the hole he fell into 20 years ago. Hardly "do(ing) very well".

Jasen Betts

oil pipeline, and wanted it to come only from U. S. manufacturers.

fore Trump is the Manchurian Candidate.

office?

you've been doing all along, but it was OK when you did it?

Most of it is coming from Welspun, an Indian firm with an American pipe man ufacturing plant in Arkansas. The catch is their raw steel comes from India . It never occurred to the brainless idiot that the pipe manufacturer only produces the pipe and someone else supplies the steel.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred