Report format guidelines...

Assume you are an intern working on a SETI program at a somewhat advanced civilization on Iota Rectuli IV.

Strong evidence of rocky planets have recently been discovered in a minor arm of a second rate galaxy sometimes called the "Milky Way". Some fifty light years or so away.

Amazingly, one of these planets suddenly and recently became a "radio star" with substantial output at the VHF frequency range. Your recent careful analysis has shown detailed comb structure with strong harmonics related to both 60 Hertz and 15,750 kilohertz.

Between the latest of advanced signal processing algorithms and some exceptionally rare viewing conditions, out pops a prefectly lucid and clear ten second video clip of ROLLER DERBY!

As the sum total of everything known about human civilization. We can assume that "Captain Video" and "Kukla, Fran, and Ollie" are yet to be discovered.

What report, if any, would you submit to your supervisor?

More at

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

(mostly) harmless.

Arch

Reply to
Archilochus

Then Bush got elected !

Thats the problem with Seti, by the time the signals have got here the originating civilisation has gone and done a monty python sketch with a dead parrot

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

"Klatu Barada Nickto" - and hope my robot supervisor is not having a 'bad hair day'.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Can anyone else imagine JT playing the trigger-happy guy who shoots the peaceful spaceman.

I like the part where the android starts vaporizing armored vehicles.

Reply to
JeffM

Nope. I'm the hairy professor played by Sam Jaffe ;-)

Me too.

I was 11 when that came out and I saw it several times in theater. I now own it on DVD.

...Jim Thompson

"If you can requisition a starship, I think we can scrounge some tickets. What do you think 'beer' means?"

John

We call it Zagmorp.

"... The Galaxy's dimensions are 100,000 ly in diameter and ~2,000 ly thick. ..." --

Idiot.

Reply to
Rich Grise

And I thought a light year was just like a regular year but with only half the calories. Oooops, that was Light Beer!

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

15,734 Hertz, or 15.734 KHz

"Nothing found yet, will continue to search for intelligent life" ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

GOTCHA!!!

Bzzzzzty WRONG.

Color tv has yet to be broadcast.

B&W is 15,750 Hertz. Color is 15,735

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

You're saying they didn't pick up the previous signal @ 10.125 kHz ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

New program, new algorithms, far more transmitters.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

^^^^^^ Only if you round it off.

DOn, I know the standards for B&W broadcast. I spent over half of my time in the service working at what was likely the LAST B&W TV station in the US.

We have been transmitting in color longer than we used B&W.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Algorithms ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

And this is a plot line used in both "Star Trek" where the captain of a missing starship was in control of a planet where they were televising roman style combat, and the old "Battlestar Galactica" where they saw the transmission from the moon of the first lunar landing. "One small step..."

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On the SETI end, of course. Once you find fine grain structure in a signal, you play games to extract it.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I do not believe ROLLER DERBY was EVER in color.

Also that it preceeded widespread color transmission by the better part of a decade.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

50 years ago? Then tell me why Sams Photofacts published the schematics and service information for the RCA CTC-2 color TV chassis in 1954? It is in Sams 252-11. It took up to half a year to develop the service data and required sales in excess of 20,000 units before they spent their time and money to develop their service data.

The CTC-2 chassis was in set 252-11, 1954 which is the first production color TV chassis that I know about. The CTC-3A chassis was in set 300-9, 1955 The CTC-4 chassis was in set 314-9, 1956

the electronic index can be downloaded from Sams website, or you can use their online database:

A chart to the dates of publication is available on one of my websites:

BTW, any station that transmitted in color used the color scan rates for B&W programming, but they switched off the color burst to prevent the set from trying to lock onto non-existent color programing. They would switch it on during color station ID or commercials, then back off when they returned to B&W programming.

Hell, the station manager tried to have me court martailed for transmitting in color on a B&W only TV station in 1974. You would have loved the place. Lots of tubes, germanium transistors and RTL logic chips. We had a very early Crown studio audio monitor amplifier, and a couple grass Valley Das with silicon transistors but that was about it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida