Report format guidelines...

Hell, Don, I watched it in the '60s, live and in color. It was televised live from a station in Cincinnati, Ohio.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Don Lancaster" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Isn't earth supposed some rotation on its axis?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

What I want to know is who calibrated the alien equipment and receivers to Earth's standards, and if they can trace the calibration back to NIST? Also, why would they use the term Hertz? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Right, fifty light years is just down the block, next street over at most.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Which is why a clear signal would probably only last a few seconds.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

It's in color now.

Reply to
Richard Henry

light beer, would that be the distance it takes light to travel in the time it takes to drink a beer ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

You watch "Roller Derby?"

;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

Quality overwhelmingly exceeds most current tv programming. Plot and character development are also far better done.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Presumably massive tv brodcasts would be required to get their attention in the first place.

The first thing noticable would be substantial increase in radio noise. Did not happen till end of WWII.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

As explained in the movie 'Contact', the first TV broadcast of any significant power featured Adolph Hitler speaking at the Olympics opening ceremonies in Berlin.

On a clear desk, you can sleep forever.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

My sister owns it on DVD too. It's kind of an interesting story how.

I wasn't around when the movie came out, apparently in 1951. I was about -18 years old at the time. Therefore I didn't see it.

The phrase "Klatu Barada Nickto" has been re-used many times in the films and TV, maybe as a tribute to the movie. One of these places was a movie called "Army of Darkness," which is a hilarous comedy-horror movie crossover. The main character is tasked with retrieving the book of the dead, but he is told to say "Klatu Barada Nickto" first. He screws up the words and releases the army of darkness.

The main character is played by a guy named Bruce Campbell (his best known part other than "Army of Darkness" is the character Autolycus in the Xena and Hercules TV Series.

So at one point a few years back I ran across his email address. I wanted an excuse to email him but I wanted it to sound like I had something to actually talk about, rather than have it look like I was just trying to see if I'd get a response to an email to a somewhat famous TV/movie star (which was actually the case).

So I emailed him to ask where "Klatu Barada Nickto" came from and why it has been used many times in movies and stuff. He replied, and just said "Watch the movie called 'The Day the Earth Stood Still.'"

Reply to
Carl Smith

In article , Don Lancaster wrote: [....]

Now, as we are gradually going to digital and spread spectrum, our signals are starting to look more and more like just an increase in radio noise. For perhaps only 100 years, a short section of one of our broadcasts will be obviously not some natuarally occuring electronic noise.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Which raises several interesting points.

"Advanced" civilizations will likely not be blasting excess rf energy into space that was intended for local consumption. And everything likely will eventually be highly encripted spread spectrum.

Which should make us stand out like a sore thumb. At least for the next century.

Even more interesting, many of the SETI searchers are carefully monitoring the "water hole" for ET signals.

Transmitting in the water hole is ILLEGAL everywhere in this world. And likely will be in every other world.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Ok, assuming that they can pull nothing outta the weeds. if they were as "advanced" as you say why would they be looking for us?

Why? Inverse square, and all that.

I guess "researchers" will do anything for a grant.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Assuming that other civilizations follow the same pattern, this reduces the likelihood that SETI will detect them. We are looking for a short energy 'hiccup' emitted by them as they progress though the discovery of radio communications and then proceed to more efficient systems.

Hopefully, each civilization will have the equivalent of Christian fundamentalist broadcasters, who seem to figure that proselytizing depends on how loud one screams, or how many megawatts one transmits, regardless of the presence of an audience.

Error reading FAT record: Try the SKINNY one? (Y/N)
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

One point being that we can now detect ourselves out to 150 light years or so, and there are an impressive number of candidate star systems within a 150 light year sphere.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

What is the portion of the sky we can "look" at out to 150ly? ...and what transmitter can we read out "there"? ...the total EMI of the planet?

--
  Keith
Reply to