Newsgroup Guidelines

Greetings Where can I find the guidelines for this news group. Spefically, can product release announcments be made ?

Thanks Allan

Reply to
Allan R. Batteiger

I would think that would be a primary purpose of a NEWSgroup.

Reply to
JohnH

You'd think wrong.

See my reply to the OP.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Thank you very much for asking.

Someone will probably post the exact wording, but commercial products are not to be advertised here, even if you call the advertisement an "announcement." Private individuals may advertise personally owned, RV-related goods.

What you can do is participate in the discussions, provide whatever expertise you can, and put a link to a web site in your signature block.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

*WHY* ???

I'm explicitly a "lurker". I have interests that might be *generously* be described as "skew* to focus of this group.

As long as a "product announcement" is *EXPLICITLY* identified as such, why not post it?

*STEALING a sig* -- "Inquiring minds wish to know."
Reply to
Richard Owlett

My apologies for the article below. My newsreader blithely skipped from rec.outdoors.rv-travel to comp.arch.embedded without me noticing. What I said is true for r.o.r.t., but not for c.a.e.

AFAIK, product announcements are welcome here. But aga>>

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

See my answer to the OP. I was in the wrong newsgroup. However, I find your next remark interesting.

In other words, those interests extend only to making money from the group. In this group, I suppose that's permissible, but it's sad.

The advice I offered about participating while making it known that you are affiliated with a commercial entity is still good advice, in any newsgroup, and will get you more sales than the occasional "product announcement."

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Well, you misread me ;} I am completely a buyer not a seller. ~15 years ago I _attempted_ to be a job shop programmer.

When I said my interests were "skew" to newsgroup I meant it. My active system has a GHz processor with > GByte of RAM. BUT, this group discusses low level implementation details I'm interested in.

My resume includes working on projects to:

  1. measure impulses on "few" neurons in cat's brain
  2. RFI testing to TEMPEST spec
  3. rebuilding a sewer plant whose spec'd effluent would be cleaner than typical municipal water supply
  4. providing an NMR spectrum of the enzyme which makes a firefly glow - that was a hilarious failure
  5. Construction management for new world headquarters of a major Wall Street stock broker with next assignment being construction of a medium security prison
  6. Counting individuals ions as they came by to resolution of a fraction of an ion per second - OK the post-doc I was supporting refused to understand implication of "gain bandwidth product"

My current interests include speaker independent voice recognition and extracting weather information from GPS errors.

Now does that sound like someone trying to sell ANYTHING?

Now, if they are brave, there are at least two regulars to this group who could testify that I make reasonably sane contributions to at least

2 other groups.

BTW I don't take myself too seriously and I enjoy varied interests ;]

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Noted. Retraction noted also. You must admit, however, that the term "news" and "articles" in the usenet NNTP context are historical accidents. The only news on usenet is the copyright- infringing kind. The only articles on usenet are the cut and paste variety.

A product announcement is an order of magnitude more "news" than a question about a transistor is "news". What a lame language legacy we inherit.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

Hey Al,

You said "extracting weather information from GPS errors"

Are you processing for innospheric information?

Reply to
David Fowler

Believe you're responding to me, not Al.

No I'm specifically interested in tropospheric effects. Obviously my input will have to come from an L1/L2 receiver to remove the larger ionospheric effects.

I've just become interested in GPS and have am fascinated by what I've read about GPS error sources.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

I don't know why you feel askew ;-) A system doesn't have to be small and cheap to be embedded. I have worked with fairly high-powered processors running Unix, embedded in board-stuffing machines, for example.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Inquisitive minds would like to hear this story.

~Dave~

Reply to
dave

Back in the 60's I was an Instrument Technician for the Chemistry Department at Cornell. We frequently ran samples for outside departments on our various spectrometers( usually NMR or mass spec).

An ag college grad student had had one of the mass spec research groups analyze a sample. He then came to us for an NMR to get data on the molecular structure.

His first try, he came in with a sample the *same size* as the mass spec group used. I gave him a very nice spectrum of the Hydrogen impurity in his Deuterated solvent. We told him we need a larger sample. He balked at the amount my boss recommended.

He brought a larger sample (but not the recommended size). I gave him a very nice spectrum of the Hydrogen impurity in his Deuterated solvent ;)

This cycle repeated a couple more times until he gave up because he felt he was running too short of the enzyme. My boss was convinced that if he had given us the requested amount he would have had a usable spectrum an not used up as much of the enzyme as he eventually did.

I'm sure it wasn't that funny for the student. But, it was my first encounter with people being over impressed with the equipment I maintained. I was young then.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

You could try "top posting" to a message in this group. If you aren't up on the term, top posting means replying to a message with your reply at the top of the message.

When I was new to this group and didn't understand this concept, everytime I replied I got an email from someone in the group, the host possibly(is there such a thing?), telling me not to do that and eventually referring me to the quidelines for the group. I can't find a copy of the guidelines on my system, but someone here must know where they are.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

OK, as penance for without knowing what newsgroup I was in earlier, I'll look it up: ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/comp/comp.arch.embedded

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ