Remember The Apollo Program

rently no commissioned Navy vessels with rail guns. The guns are on vario us test stations. In naval exercises in the spring of 2019 The Navy fired a bout two dozen hypervelocity projectiles (HVPs) ? special rounds in itially designed for electromagnetic railguns ? from the Mk 45 5-in ch deck gun aboard the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer. The Mk 45 is standard on the Arleigh Burke class vessels.

he Advanced Gun System (AGS), a naval artillery system developed and produc ed by BAE Systems Armaments Systems for the Zumwalt-class destroyer, design ated the 155 mm/62 (6.1") Mark 51 Advanced Gun System (AGS).

d.

tfitted in San Diego after is left BIW in Maine (where it was built) for se a trials.

n the DDG1000 as an experiment however a fair amount of engineering modific ations to the ships power system is required. Since the ship is an 'all ele ctric' vessel, the mods are not very straight forward. Having spent some t ime on the ship prior to release for sea trials, I can attest that the powe r gen/conversion/distribution is a very interesting design - unlike any ves sel before it.

In support of my statements, one can google any one of the above topics. I point of reference is the 3+ years I spent on the DDG1000 project as a SME .

Reply to
jjhudak4

Last I heard there was a new class of ship that was being commissioned, but the rail gun was not meeting performance criteria, so it was not mounted o n the first ship or two, but they are still working to develop them.

Rockets are millions each. Rockets don't always hit their mark either. Th ey are easy to track and detect when incoming and you can only carry a few.

Dumb projectiles are not so expensive by a long shot, are hard to detect co ming and even harder to do anything about. It's ok if you have to shoot a couple of dozen to hit the target since the ship can carry so many more tha n missiles. Once you hit the target, it's done.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Having a Chinese restaurant on Mars would be nice. And why not an Indian restaurant. This would be much nicer than finding a McD or other boring American cousin after traveling such long way to Mars.

Reply to
upsidedown

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Chili cheese coneys with fresh diced onions!

Oh... and... a White Castle!

Oh, and I know what the best thing would be... A nice Greek Diner.

Or wait... Simply make a nice big greenhouse and put cannabis in their with the other stuff. The seeds are second only to soy in protein content and full of anti-oxidants and omega 3s, etc.

Wake and bake... job one.

Weed and seed on my eggs... nice breakfast.

Weed seeds in my mashed taters... even better... for you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I thought there was a McD on the moon, as shown in this image:

from

Tom Gardner

Not entirely useless. It allowed the US to implement the Bretton Woods

3: rebase the dollar backup metal from gold to plutonium. With a fixed exchange rate, pun intended.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Piotr Wyderski wrote in news:qsorn7$17gg$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

The gold standard did not get trashed until Nixon.

The Dollar is now based on world stage credit ratings.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Try to stop accepting dollar payments and you will quickly learn what the dollar is based on. I believe Gaddafi was the most recent one willing to check the idea. Simple past, and I don't mean only the tense.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Piotr Wyderski wrote in news:qsosvu$1dof$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I have some nice, valuable coins, but we will not likely be trading with them, and if converted... look what it gets converted into!

Damn... I try to get out... and they pull me back in!

Those damned Helots!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

three input nand gates, IIRC

Reply to
jjhudak4

NOR gates. Block I apollo guidance computers used three-transistor triple input NOR gate devices in TO-98-like metal cans and later block II versions used six-transistor dual three input NORs in flat packs.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Always wrong, as usual.

You know, AlwaysWrong, the beginning normally comes BEFORE the end.

And TI's before that, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news:mbc3ve9s54ekfv295orefjhju48qst268d@

4ax.com:

You said you started at the END of the 360 days. That is at or post 1978.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I worked on the DDG-1000 project for a year. Very lucrative but couldn't take working on government contracts anymore.

Reply to
krw

That was my point. ;-0

Reply to
krw

Have ever played volleyball? No, I don't suppose so.

Reply to
krw

The history of naval artillery, and anti-aircraft gunnery, and land army warfare, is that most shells miss. If a ship with rail guns has to fire as many shots as a conventional gun to hit a target, it would have to tow a train of barges packed with electrical generators.

I used to go on sea trials in the Gulf, on the LASH ships. It was fun. I was a bigwig (and still in college) so they gave me a private cabin. Most of the guys slept on cots in the cargo hold. We sat dead in the water in the Gulf for eight hours once, during which we had some intense meetings. That's another story.

I almost ripped a LASH ship off the dock at Avondale, turning a trimpot too far. Could have killed people.

I designed controls for the DD963 class ships, and some coast guard cutters, but didn't go out on them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rrently no commissioned Navy vessels with rail guns. The guns are on vari ous test stations. In naval exercises in the spring of 2019 The Navy fired about two dozen hypervelocity projectiles (HVPs) ? special rounds i nitially designed for electromagnetic railguns ? from the Mk 45 5-i nch deck gun aboard the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer. The Mk 45 is standar d on the Arleigh Burke class vessels.

the Advanced Gun System (AGS), a naval artillery system developed and produ ced by BAE Systems Armaments Systems for the Zumwalt-class destroyer, desig nated the 155 mm/62 (6.1") Mark 51 Advanced Gun System (AGS).

ed.

utfitted in San Diego after is left BIW in Maine (where it was built) for s ea trials.

on the DDG1000 as an experiment however a fair amount of engineering modifi cations to the ships power system is required. Since the ship is an 'all el ectric' vessel, the mods are not very straight forward. Having spent some time on the ship prior to release for sea trials, I can attest that the pow er gen/conversion/distribution is a very interesting design - unlike any ve ssel before it.

gunpowder is ~3MJ/kg, diesel/gasoline. is ~45MJ/kg

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

[...]

I suspect the Navy has people working on the project who can actually do ma th, so they realize this statement is not correct.

My understanding is the weapon has issues with rate of fire and wear of the "barrel". Not having enough power to fire the weapon and needing a barge of generators is not an issue. If that were the problem the projects of th e US and Chinese militaries would not be as advanced as they are.

--

[...]

True that, yes, they mostly miss - trying to pick out fly shit from pepper. .but.. the AGS shells are GPS guided. The navy gun requirements, in general, are to go after something well over the horizon. IIRC, typical horizon at sea i s about 32.5NM. For the AGS, the distance for a shell is around 80NM to 10

0NM with a certain hit accuracy. AFAIK the accuracy requirement and actual accuracy and repeatability are classified. Another capability of the AGS was no crew was needed to handle the shells. Essentially, once loaded on board in pallets, shells would be autoloaded i nto a magazine, and ready to file. Firing cycle time was on the order of 6 sec/shell.
Reply to
three_jeeps