remember the max038?

Maxim used to make a neat little 1 chip 20MHz waveform generator, the MAX038. But, as the twits at Maxim like to do, they stopped making them and the usual distributors don't carry them anymore. Googling doesn't help. I just get links to outfits like zdi or icplus that won't sell you less than $250 worth and only cater to businesses. Does anyone know where I can find a couple of these chips?? Thanks

Reply to
apchar

I agree , they are forcing us to ARM mcu's

BUT gotta use more circuitry . --------------------- I love the 038 , but now we must do it all

with a ARM mcu , using DDS .

Its a ROM , that is read into a DAC .

It will do very hi freq .

An old 4MB PCI Video Card is a way

to make waveforms . Its DAC is very hi speed .

BTW Im doin ARM mcu . Ill be writting s/w and a new Loader . Ill make it much easier to debug . I have many ARM EVB's and Game-boxes to hack the ARM mcu's inside .

The most exciting is the $150 Nintendo DS Lite

it has 2 ARMs , 2 LCD color , 2 ports ...

I just bought a hack tool called a M3-Simply to load homebrew s/w to the DS lite .

Next i'll hook a 2.5" HDD to slot-2 . Its easy , no glue , only wires and a free s/w , from WWW .

Reply to
Werty

Actually, some of us remember the Intersil 8038 that came out in the early seventies, and had something like a 1MHz upper limit. That's a long time ago.

The Maxim version just added to that, the upper frequency limit and the lifespan of the basic concept.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

You can order small quantities for $19.90 US here:

Roger

Reply to
sailtamarack

Yes, but a DDS normally lets you monkey around with phase and amplitude shifts in "real time" (i.e., it has a phase offset adder and an output multiplier), whereas doing this with a video card would require that *you* provide the hardware or software to do so. For completely fixed waveforms, I would agree that a video card can make a fine device if you already have a PC lying around anyway to drive it.

If you don't like monolithic DDS ICs, a better approach is to just "roll our own" inside of an FPGA along with a discrete DAC. You won't get the speed as the fastest DDS ICs available, but it may still be fast enough for your needs.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad