Remember The Apollo Program

I used TO5 transistors, just not JAN-TX parts.

Saved a ton of money.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A problem we were unaware of at the time. Doh!

Take that up with all the body builder supplement makers and ask the greedy bastards why *they* do not donate what is cheap for them to make.

Yer an idiot. There are 7.yada yada some odd billion people on Earth and only about 5.5 billion eat every day, even as we definitely have enough to feed everyone.

I do not see you joining up with the Peace Corps. We do more than ANY other nation.

We need to update our infrastructure in several areas, and educational is one. The NASA budget is a drop in comparison.

Fuck that. Let the greedy bastard private 'jail operators' which magically popped out of the woodwork do some value added moves.

You are a goddamned child damned near on the scale of Donald J. Trump himself.

John Larkin, a self professed buffoon.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

WTF... we got us another mumblimg bumbler.

WTF are you on about, boy?

Jeez, what passes for 'modern scientist' would have Rod Serling turning in his grave.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Fairchild ten transistor IC chip was used.

Missile guidance was driven by the both the Korean Conflict and the cold war through the 50's and then the space race, which ensued upon the Sputnik 1 launch. The space programs came into being WITH the existing trechnology, but driving new technologies as well, you stupid f*ck.

NASA and manned space exploration is a different animal. You seem to be lost on several spects between the two. No surprise there.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

piglet wrote in news:qshage$suj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The first IC chip by Fairchild semi was used. Ten transistor device.

The system used a discrete IC RTL assembly processor. An assembly which included IC chips.

It was introduced years before the 1964 IBM guidance computer of the Gemini Program, which lasted only one year as far as the lifespan of that computer goes.

So, yes... it most certainly DID have IC chips in it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

John Larkin is an abject idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They do make rather obvious targets, so who is going to bother?

The space race was more about having being enough rockets to serve as intercontinental ballistic missiles. Once you had them you could demonstrate the capacity by putting stuff into low earth orbit.

It was a non-threatening way of demonstrating that capacity.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

I think a recent ISS experiment involved baking cookies in zero-G.

What useful science has ISS delivered?

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Other interesting aircraft projects were abandoned in the 50s and 60s:

--

Jeff
Reply to

Imagination DID determine what got done with 'those resources'. You can't bend the imagination of others, so just sit back and admire.

Reply to
whit3rd

Interesting, thanks. Do you have a reference for that? All I saw was that the Gemini spacecraft computer was IBM's first all-silicon computer but all discrete using SLT modules.

What Fairchild ten-transistor IC was that? The nine transistor uA702 op-amp by Widlar was used in later versions of the Apollo computer and early AGC used three-transistor NOR gate devices in TO-98 cans and later versions used six-transistor dual three input NORs in flat packs but I couldn't see a ten-transistor chip described.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

While of course serial computers are slow, but is there a typo in the article ? If the bit clock was 500 kHz (2 us), how on earth would it take 140 ms to add two 39 bit numbers ? With two shift registers (such as mercury acoustic delay lines) and a single bit half adder it should take about 140 us. Even if the core RWM cycles would have been used serially as a scratch pad with two 4 us core cycles/bit, the addition should be done in under 1 millisecond and multiplication under 40 ms.

Serial computing was popular in early tube computers to reduce hardware costs at the expense of speed. Later on, the HP-35 scientific calculator of 1972 also used serial computing to reduce transistor count.

Decimal (actually BCD) computers were used for administrative calculations with a 4 bit (BCD) hardware and with handled multiple decimal digits serially. Later on, from the 1970's this principle was used in four function pocket calculators.

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Sun, 8 Dec 2019 01:02:05 -0800 (PST)) it happened whit3rd wrote in :

J.F. Kenney's dream was the moon IIRC. Now, so many years later after that small step / big step thing, what politicians looking for eternal jobs in their district made of it is a continuous job creation. AND WHAT is more continuous than going round in circles. We see that instead of going to the next heavenly body (Von Braun had mars plan) NASA has been doing nothing more than drive around the block providing work, and doing it the most inefficient way, and finally losing the ability to even get people up there, had to use a Russian taxi every time, all engineers left in frustration long ago. Just to make sure it would stay circles they destroyed the Apollo drawings. There is a similar thing with circles giving less gifted engineers and scientists jobs ITER CERN See the circle round and round forever thing? :-) :-)

As to life all over the universe and the religious brain stuck ideas stopping to admit that in face of proof: maybe some of you are old enough to remember the announcement when the Viking lander on mars detected life.

Hours later a 'correction' was broadcasted, 'it was not really life it detected'.

So years of development and testing of the Viking experiment was nullified by the religious SPONSORS of the mars mission in just a few hours. Really, what a shame on science!! And NO mission after that looked for life of course, no it looked especially in the most unlikely places, NOT where water was, but in a volcano where it would have been burned anyways. So Dr Levin's experiment it is worth reading up on that bottom link from my page:

. .. When I was a kid and learned about the 'science' in the dark ages being dictated by the church it was presented as 'that is of the past now'. Maybe it was of the past just after WW2.

But these days science is a part from what I wrote above, misused and abused, that started with the 'club of rome' with false predictions, and now, starting with Al Gore (who did NOT I repeat NOT have cottage on mars), is now used to sell things to save the climate. The climate cyclic warming in glacial and hot times is in reality determined by the changes in orbit of the earth:

that was once their main site, now pushed back and a silly sentence added that we humans cause it all.

So science as of the 21 century is about the same as it was in the dark ages in Europe, after the collapse of the Roman empire, and it may get even worse after the collapse of the US empire correction IS getting worse during this collapse of the US empire.

I hope it has not (the for profit brain washing of kids into wrong belief so you can sell) infiltrated China and more left orientedated countries.

But the way it looks now things will get darker, media following some frustrated kids and people getting violent to 'save the climate'. What we should be doing is build more nuclear plants to power all the aircos etc we need. Do not lose the knowhow!!

And that, full circle, brings me back to spacecraft and nuclear powered spacecraft at that. Obviously that is the way to go.

Capitalism, its excesses, 5G hype, sell sell sell goes nowhere is self-destructive.

Maybe here is the function of wars in the next WW that what really works and of use will prevail. Such a mass hysteria about climate these days... Planet of the apes, apes may have been smarter ? Na take a look at this US leader and his puppets.

Evolution, if I could look back from a million or even a few thousand years in the future... Maybe carbon life forms and future are mutual exclusive? What will rule and mess up things after us?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

piglet wrote in news:qsigai$8vd$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Fairchild's ten transistor chip was the very first IC chip. They and TI then manufactured it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

At the instant the shuttle leaves the ground, control is passed from Florida to Texas.

Yes, the Russian UBER thing is absurd. Luckily their rocket has very non-Russian reliability.

Politics drives the silly manned space program. No sensible Capitalist would touch it.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Orbiting nuclear weapons platform would be about the best first-strike weapons system you could come up with, but has very little second-strike/deterrence value it's otherwise a sitting duck and surface to air missiles that can hit targets in LEO have been around for some time I believe, it doesn't take a very large payload.

I think it's part of the reason the treaty was agreed on, it's such an obviously offense-only weapon that launching an overtly-designed system like that would itself be tantamount to a declaration of war, really the only logical move from a game-theory perspective would be to shoot it down immediately.

If you wanted to fly nuclear weapons in orbit sometimes you'd have to take a little more plausibly-deniable tack about it, like some kind of re-usable spacecraft for scientific research with a large enclosed payload bay where you couldn't see what's in there.

Reply to
bitrex

The first Soviet nuclear bomb was very heavy, so they had to build a huge ICBM; the R-7. After a few ICBM test launches Korolev wanted to send up a satellite, the Sputnik 1.

When news agency TASS announced the launch of Sputnik 1 and its weight of over 80 kg, western observers thought that there was a decimal point error, since the planned US Vanguard satellite was just one tenth of Sputnik 1. Sputnik 2 with Laika was 500 kg and Sputnik 3 was

1300 kg

The R-7 is still used as the first stage of the Soyuz booster.

The first US ICBM was ready a few years after R-7, which caused hysteria in the US.

Of course neither R-7 nor Atlas were not very usable as ICBMs because they needed large launch sites and needed several hours to refuel after previous launch and the launch sites were vulnerable to bomber attacks.

Reply to
upsidedown

AlwaysWrong is, surprise, wrong again. You're right, it was SLT (Solid Logic Technology) which was a hybrid with individual transistors and resistors mounted on a ceramic substrate and a metal cap. Wiki calls it "Discrete IC RTL based" but it's not and IC as we know it today. We used them when I first started at IBM (the end of the 360 years). TI eventually made ICs for IBM for the model 360/85 and /95, called SLT4, IIRC. IBM made a an equivalent called "HPCL" (High Performance Current Logic), later. SLT4 and HPCL were ECL rather than RTL.

Reply to
krw

Silly. You wouldn't use something that expensive or that small. You'd need to hit thousands of targets, some of which you have no clue about their location, or you're the sitting duck. MAD works.

Reply to
krw