Relay contact ratings.

Except for Apple...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

complicated. Some developing countries only export when they have a surplus and import when there is a risk of shortage.

Are you saying they export to decrease the deficit and rely on aid in a famine? If so it would be evidence of a problem in government not of a shortage of resources. There are supposed to be export taxes or incentives depending on the rice volume available in the domestic market. Japan is obliged to import (trade agreement) but doesn't sell domestically - stores it and uses it for aid.

You're either an idiot or simply trying to be obtuse.

"The more the starving can pay for that rice the higher the price will be in the developed world (simple supply and demand)."

is pretty simple.

to the world and not become reliant on agricultural imports.

recyclable. Are you sure you don't mean 'nonrenewable'?

sedentary lifestyle etc. The people who are reaching those ages had a very different life. 'Modern' toxins - I know smoking has been around a while but there is evidence that it alters DNA. What my grandfather and his grandfather did will have some effect on me. What cumulative effect will multiple vaccines, IVF, late child bearing and drugs have on populations long term?

thousand. However, in former times they did not constantly fly all over the world and the world was not so densely populated. Yet the plague of 1500-1520 decreased England's population by 60%. It took until 1750 to reach the population of the Middle Ages. I don't think you can exclude the possibility of a pandemic which would make aids look like nothin.

future is unpredictable. So keep your hair on!

I refer you to Jacob Bernoulli's comment on the law of averages.

building without reinforcing, they are now stretching the steel used in reinforcing. ;)

Family should be off limits - especially in a group about electronics. So what if I had a lot of kids - I was not born with the information and reasoning I now have. You are a prick for wanting to persecute someone for learning something.

FYI, in my mid to late thirties I learnt that my genetics should never be passed on. I am disabled by them.

This is both stupid and illogical.

Your comment was

"They're more likely to suffer as a result of doing something stupid than because the world is finite."

My response to that was simple and clear

"Currently true. May not always be true."

When economic pressure builds because of limited supply and increasing economic competition they may indeed suffer more because the world is finite than for doing something stupid.

immediate matters.

No, but the low level of your logic and reasoning makes this thread unworthy of anyone's time. SO I am finished with answering you.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

You have singularly missed the point. A *world* *wide* *growing*

*population* combined with increasing economic power in previously undeveloped countries will increase demand for resources beyond what can possibly be supplied the only possible result is a lower standard of living for the previously developed world.

This is simple supply and demand.

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.
Reply to
David Eather

Nonsense. People redefine what they expect from their standard of living as we go along. The amount of energy required per unit of inflation-adjusted GDP has gone down a lot since the 1970s.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I get the feeling you choose to be simple when it suits you and abusive whe= n it doesn't. Calling a person a prick does not actually strengthen your c= ase. Nor does suggesting I'm obtuse or an idiot. It just reflects badly on= you and the wonderful land of Oz.

Supply and demand isn't simple, not when governments and organizations legi= slate against it.

FYI Life expectancy does not predict how long people alive today will live.

There is no need to get snakey. Why mention your children if you didn't wa= nt to discuss them? Many foolish notions are predicated on a supposed conc= ern for future generations. =20

Ah, so you're going to take your bat and ball and go home? Pity, but by al= l means go and do something worthwhile. : )

Reply to
mrstarbom

However, God is not subject to Jacob Bernoulli's comment on the law of averages.

For fundamental truth I refer you to John 14:6 and 1 John 4:16

Reply to
mrstarbom

There are alternatives, you can voluntarily use Windows, Android, Linux etc, even a pen and paper, or you have the free choice to simply use nothing

Reply to
kreed

At 10 cents a post, we could have taken up a collection and bought a new OEM timer for the OP :-)

Reply to
Ralph Barone

That's not the point. We are designing a better solution. It might not even be a timer.

Reply to
linnix

long

Bad idea. All that would happen would be that you'd discover that the distribution of emperatures in the fridge are not what you'd like them to be, but that since all you have is on/off switches for the compressor, fan, and defrost heater, there's little you can do about it.

But if you're also adding some mechanically operated vents, and some additional fans, then now you're talking.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

e:

e:

how long

timer

in off.

can

nate...

USD

a new

ctly

two

bits

bt we

do it

es

he

tat

me

wer

It

off

when

le

At least all around the heat exchanger and pipes.

We can control how much to defrost, by measuring temperature changes based on compressor and fan timings and loads. There are plenty of parameters we can measures and to adjust in heatings.

I would add additional hot water pipes. It's more cost efficient than electric heat.

Reply to
linnix

While I love the design process and we're all having lots of fun here; for a one-off solution, it's pretty hard to beat buying an OEM spare part and just stuffing it back in.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Eveb Apple gets better, and cheaper. Your point?

Reply to
krw

ew

While going through this thread and searching on the net. I believe that we can make the old fridges much more efficient. We are not talking about stuffing back inefficient OEM parts. Timer is an inefficient open-loop control. Using temperature sensing closed loop, we can reduce the cooling-heating cycles and energies.

Reply to
linnix

Apple has chosen not to compete on price, and have had staggering profits. Much corporate medical care in the US also does not compete on price, if at all.

As a larger issue, when people drill down into the details, competition as we generally think of it rarely matters much - differences in cost of orders of magnitude will matter while differences of even as much as 2x will not.

But the more something is a commodity, especially a commodity that has high volume, the more small differences in price matter.

Medical care is a craft good, and the farthest thing there is from a commodity. Will that change? Probably.

Specific to medical care 1) we do not have competitive provision of medical care in the US, and 2) universal care ala Yurp has actuarial effects very much in favor of it.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

e:

ote:

long

er

ff.

it

They don't. If the defrost time isnt properly controlled, its bound to end up being a compromise, too long most of the time but on occasion too short. That's when the system ices.

The temp the evporator reaches dont matter to the compressor, the latter has plenty of thermal capacity and some leeway.

NT

Reply to
NT

ow long

imer

off.

te...

new

ly

wo

ts

we

o it

ff

en

not at all, ice doesnt conduct heat well, so removing a thin layer of ice makes the cooling more energy efficient.

Reply to
NT

ote:

ow long

imer

off.

te...

new

ly

wo

ts

we

o it

And heat it up, just to cool it down later. I can't believe the fridge industry is still using inefficient timer based open loop control.

Reply to
linnix

ff

en

Its a nonissue. If you wanted to get every last drop of energy efficiency, the compressor could be run backwards to defrost the evaporator, thus making good use of the heat built up within it. Bu that wuold mean more cost, so its not done.

NT

Reply to
NT

I don't understand.

Are Apple computers not ever better, cheaper, and faster too? The first Mac, with 128k of memory and a pokey MC68K--sold for $2,495 in

1984. Is the latest iPad not wireless, cheaper, faster, and better in almost every conceivable way?

Apple charges more, but is not Apple just one competitor among many? Have no other choices sprung up, each with different combinations of price and features, to suit the infinitely diverse spectrum of individual preferences and needs? Something for everyone?

Clearly, I don't understand the question.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat