Strange phenomena in fridge.

If I leave an open drink on the top shelf of my fridge (non freezer section)without changing temp settings, on hot days the drink freezes.

I can only think that the thermostat must be sensing part external ambient temp and compensating, which does not say much for design.

Reply to
F Murtz

Or is it that your fridge is not "fan-forced" (to distribute the cold around the chamber) and the drink is right next to the cooling element?

If the entire chamber was capable of freezing a drink wouldn't everything else be frozen too?

--
Cheers,
Chris.

Heat enters the fridge from all over, but the fridge is cooled at the top. When the temperature outside is higher, more heat flows in, so to maintain a steady state inside the fridge, more heat must be pumped out. The flow of air in the fridge is obstructed, both by the things in the fridge, and the turbulent flow of the air itself, so that represents a thermal resistance. The greater the amount of heat flowing through a thermal resistance the greater the temperature gradient. So, with a rise in outside temperature, some parts of the fridge get warmer, and other parts get colder, as you've discovered.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Open the fridge and look at the back. Mine has openings where cold air enters the fridge cavity.

If I put things a the back next to these inlets they get frozen.

Reply to
Perry

No only the drink on the top shelf in front of what looks like a closed in box with the words active smart on it which could be a fan (it has small vent under it. This freezing phenomena only occurs in hot weather

Reply to
F Murtz

When I get a tuit I may investigate further and get workshop manual for a looksee and get a couple of thermometers and investigate but for the moment it is just interesting.

Reply to
F Murtz