refrigerator light

I get far more service out of a piezo igniter - I've replaced it once in 15 years. I think the key is that I have and use a cloth cover when the grill is not in use, so far less water gets into things.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Ours seem fine. Our winters are wet and windy, but no snow.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Most hot water furnaces over here have largish boilers, like a hot water tank. Prevents burnouts when the water gets turned off, for instance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I meant the built-in ones.

The US hand gadgets are so childproofed that they seldom light at all. The ones in europe are easy to use and light every time.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Mine has a "start" position just CCW from full throttle. You hold it for a second or two till it starts, and then adjust.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My furnace heats a boiler, just like the HW tank, and water circulates to radiators with two pump zones. We used to have a combined unit that had a coil in the tank to make hot water. (That was a godsend when we had three teenagers in the house--we never ran out of hot water.) It has a switch to turn it off in the summer. I leave the pilot burning unless we're going away, in which case I turn off the gas, the water, and most of the electricity.

;)

Right, that's what we have, conveniently on opposite walls with the fridge and sink within reach. You can turn a gas stove all the way off in a second, so you have much better control over things like browning butter and scrambling eggs. (Aluminum pans help too.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I bought the officially sanctioned $75 USD cover, and we usually use it, but this year (coldest February in history) a critter of some description built a nest inside and perforated it in multiple places.

8-(

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That's sensible. Some ignite only when a knob is pressed. Ours ignite when some not-too-bright flame sensor thinks they ought to.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How do they work there? The pilot light's on the roof?

Reply to
krw

Sparker itself.

Water, ice, and the corrosion that comes with them doesn't help.

Reply to
krw

Hey Win, What was your course of action? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I recall old stoves with a single gas pilot located between four burners. There were tubes, one from each burner to the pilot. You

*could* put the pilot on the roof.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I had one like that in my first apartment, on the corner of Trafalgar and York in Vancouver, circa 1982. Worked fine, except that when I occasionally cleaned up, I sometimes put the pilot out. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

First apartment? Cleaned up? Must be a Canadian thing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

My girlfriend lived upstairs. (We've been married for just about 32 years now.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Only during heating season.

Snap-Snap-Snap-Snap...

Agreed. Dual-fuel is the way to go.

Ovens have timers (don't know about gas ones).

Reply to
krw

Well, our heating season is a bit longer than yours, though not as long as Spehro's or George's. My old system used one boiler for hot water and heating, but it blew out one New Year's Day, and I settled for what the plumber had in stock!

Not on mine, as noted upthread. There's a 'start' position a bit CCW from full on. No sensor required.

Sure. But nothing like that ever runs in our house without somebody around. I also turn off all the power bars in my lab before leaving for the day. I had a very nice Krohn-Hite dual lowpass filter box short out its power supply one time, which encouraged me to be extra careful! (The clamp on its main filter cap got loose over time, and the cap slipped down and shorted to the case. Clouds of transformer smoke, but fortunately I was there at the time. Now nothing has continuous power except my server.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You must have cleaned up well. ;-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Well, I'm amazingly good looking. ;)

Cheers