refrigerator light

Except when they go snap-snap-snap and won't stop. A pushbutton would be nice, instead of the flakey flame detectors.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:05:36 -0400, Spehro Pefhany Gave us:

Which is why a gas stove has spark ignition and no always on pilot.

Many newer dryers do as well (spark ignition).

As for the furnace, it does get added, because it keeps the exchanger warmer (read pre-heated). Calories are calories. Just ask krw, (or fat boy Terrell). (oh, wait... his are different calories!)

He's "two tents!" Bwuahahahahahahahahah!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

When I was a kid, our gas stove had a pilot flame per burner. Gas was cheap.

The gas pilot runs all the time, even when you need air conditioning!

Our furnace has a glowbar igniter/sensor. The electronics has only failed once so far.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 08:50:24 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Your gas must be falling back down the feed.

Oh, and aren't *you* "a flakey flame detector"? Just sayin'

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm a triple-redundant flame detector: sight, sound, heat sensing. I know if a burner is on or off, but the stove electronics sometimes gets it wroong.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 22. juli 2015 kl. 19.28.12 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

and smell I assume

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Your triple redundancy flame detector has a greatly reduced sensitivity on a nocturnal schedule and occasional short periods during the daytime. :-) Mikek

amdx

Maybe I don't understand your system- ours is forced air so any heat at all from the furnace would have to be taken away by the A/C heat exchanger in the summer.

Probably the best combo would be gas Hobbs and electric oven. We've got the IR flat-top electric ones which are okay, but not as fast as 'cooking with gas'.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

They seem to have gotten it in the newer Weber grills. The electronic ignitor module is manually actuated, single AAA powered, sort-of sealed, and easily replaced for about $20 when it inevitably fails after a few years sitting out all winter.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany

The mechanical piezo BBQ lighters seem to be pretty good. No batteries, no electronics!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

And likely smell. The methanethiol mercaptan odorant they add to NG is very effective. The standard requires 1/5 of the explosive limit to be detectable by a person with a normal sense of smell.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

il

e pilot/thermopile system is bulletproof.

Things may be different in the US to here, and of course boilers do differ in design. But I can certainly say that no central heating boiler I've ever seen here captures the pilot flame's heat in any useful way. Its precisely why no new boiler has a pilot flame any more.

In old pilot lit boilers, the water pump doesn't run when the main burner i s out, so the pilot heats the exchanger, but that heat goes nowhere other t han up the chimney.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A friend has an LG refrigerator which seems to work ok, but it has a dashboard at the top of the opening that reduces the height for putting tall items on the top shelf. For what it does this seems rather wasteful. It could have been put on the side or even in the door much more effectively.

I've noticed the same poor design in other brands as well.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:28:00 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

I was talking about Usenet, actually. ba-dum-ch (rimshot)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No, it keeps the water slightly warmer while the circulator is off. The burner will come on to keep the water warm, even if there has been no demand for heat. The pilot will add *slightly* (it is a small flame) to that heat, delaying the main burner *slightly*.

Reply to
krw

...and after a Winter outside, no work!

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 21:37:52 -0400, krw Gave us:

snip

The sparker itself or the gas cartridge driven flame at the end of the stick?

Those piezo sparkers age and die from use, not from a simple chill.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There should be a circuit diagram somewhere---usually they stick it behind the air baffle at the front bottom. It usually pops out when yanked. Those things usually have an old-school wiring harness running around the box, even if it converges into a high-tech computer unit.

A day will come, of course, when they'll switch to ethernet (wired or wireless) bus linking all the sensors and actuators, and then we'll have to root the refrigerator to fix it :)

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

Phil

the pilot/thermopile system is bulletproof.

er in design. But I can certainly say that no central heating boiler I've e ver seen here captures the pilot flame's heat in any useful way. Its precis ely why no new boiler has a pilot flame any more.

r is out, so the pilot heats the exchanger, but that heat goes nowhere othe r than up the chimney.

As already pointed out you're obviously describing a system wholly differen t to the ones we use here.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, that's my experience too. Two or three tops.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany