Refrigerator door lube, plugs

I reversed my refrigerator door yesterday. Two issues:

1- Some of the hole plugs crumbled and they are discontinued. This is a Magic Chef RB151TV (white). These should be easy to substitute, but how to get a substitute that fits?

2- When I pulled the hinge pins out of the doors some black powder came out. Do they lube these with graphite? The doors are a little stiff now and they don't close by themselves unless the whole unit is tilted way back. Only the bottom hinge allows any alignment, but I tried moving it already, and there is no change in resistance in the door's range of motion.

Thanks.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Appliance parts store.

The powder is probably wear. Ask the store for a lubricant.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Try a hardware store that sells plumbing and electrical plugs. You might have to paint them white. Also, what about plugs from an automotive repair parts area. WD-40 on the hinges should loosen them up, clean up any overspray to keep from discolring the painted areas.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

And if you get really stuck, pick up some nylon or Delrin rod stock. A power drill held in a bench vice can function as a poor man's lathe, I've used that method to make simple parts before I met friends with a machine shop.

Reply to
James Sweet

It may some as a surprise to some, but WD-40 is not a lubricant. A decent cleaner and solvent, yes (but way too smelly for a place where you're going to be cooking and storing food, IMHO).

If you use it on your hinges, follow it up with a true oil or light grease.

Reply to
SparkyGuy

Well it is a lubricant, but not a very good one. Anything slippery is technically a lubricant, even water. It evaporates too quickly to work long term, it does however work well for flushing old grease out and washing new grease or oil into tight areas.

Reply to
James Sweet

JR North