Re: The end is in sight

Charlie E. wrote:

>> Bob, >> You haven't seen what a mess it can be for those in outlying areas >> when the fire budgets start getting stressed. Pretty soon, you have >> all nice fire stations sitting vacant, at least half the time, and new >> areas are uncovered. You also have problems in inner cities where >> demand outstrips supply. So, the fire 'utility' is not perfect >> either, > >I didn't say it was perfect, just that it does a good job at a >reasonable price. Do you think that the fire brigades would do a better >job if they were privatised, & run on a "user pays" basis? Would society >as a whole benefit from such a change?

Hi Bob, Wasn't my point. My point is that our present government would only make things worse, not better, if they tried to 'nationalize' health care. they have already (both parties) shown too great a tendency to 'reward' their supporters with political spoils to engineer a solution that actually benefited the consumers. I would be more favorable to the establishment of two non-profit entities, more like health care co-ops than governemnt bodies, who could compete in services and staffing, while having no profit motive

I know when I was younger, churches often established and funded hospitals, which often offered care of better quality than the 'public' hospitals. Of course, this competition was eventually removed as regulations came into play that prevented them from competing... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.