Re: Split Plane

John Lark>> >>

>>> Hi >>> >>> I am designing an 8 layer board with a Virtex 4 device on it. I will have >>> 2 solid ground planes and 2 split power planes. If I have a signal plane >>> that is between a ground and power plane will it matter if I cross a split >>> on the power plane with a signal track. I know that you should not cross a >>> split it in a plane if you are referencing to that plane. But if I have a >>> solid ground plane beneath the track will it use this plane as its >>> reference rather than the power plane. >>> >>> Cheers >>> >>> Jon >> >> No, it doesn't matter. The strange concept of "reference planes" is >> irrelevent here... how does the signal know what plane you think it's >> referenced to? >> >> If the power planes are bypassed well enough to make them reliable >> power sources, then they are AC equipotential with the ground plane, >> so the signal sees them all as ground. And a small slit in a power >> plane is essentially invisible for edges slower than a few 10's of >> picoseconds. >> >> John > >John, > >You're the only person who I won't directly challenge on your assertion >because of your experience in producing quality products while >confronting these types of issues directly. > >Suffice it to say that "today's common theory" suggests crossing the >split in the specified case - like crossing any split - can be the root >of crosstalk and EMI issues in addition to signal fidelity issues, just >to a lesser extent than for signals on the outside layers. > >I'd love to be able to wrap my mind around how crossing this split >wouldn't affect the signal in measurable ways, but the things I've been >taught - my "faith" perhaps - suggests otherwise. I was once of a mind >where crossing the split would be a non-issue but was brought over to >the dark side with convincing arguments that tied in mith my more >fundamental understanding of transmission line theory. > >- John_H

ground============================================================

signal------------------------------------------------------------

power ======================== =================================

whatever ========================================================

OK, there's a slit in the power plane. It's probably about as wide as a normal trace width, call it 8 mils. Let's say the plane-plane spacings are similar distances. Both halves of the split power plane are bypassed to the ground plane by real capacitors and by the considerable large-area plane-plane capacitance.

In order for the trace impedance to change as the trace cruises over the gap, the potential in the middle of the gap would have to be non-zero. But the electric field from the signal trace can hardly penetrate through the gap... that's simple electrostatics. The signal sees uniform ground above, and a slightly lower dielectric constant below, in the gap region. That raises the trace impedance a tiny bit just above the gap, for a tiny distance. The "reference plane" issue is silly, as all the planes are at AC ground.

I've built and TDR's such structures to better than 30 ps resolution. A reflection from such a gap is lost in the normal impedance noise, caused by thickness variations and the glass weave in the board. In the nanosecond domain, it's totally invisible.

On a 2-sided board, a microstrip trace on one side and a cut ground plane on the other,

signal-----------------------------------

ground================== ==============

a narrow slit in the ground plane is still a tiny impedance discontinuity on a TDR plot.

All this "reference plane" stuff is ludicrous. It sure ain't "transmission line theory", it's folklore.

John

It's aimed at getting people to not use *large* slits in their ground planes that *could* turn into significant problems. And you can certainly run simulations and show that -- if you choose a low enough frequency -- current will divert around the slit, like Howard and friends like to draw diagrams of in their books.

The problem is that once everyone nods their heads up and down that, ok, sure, slits in the plane affect what happens electromagnetically, where many people (include me) get off-track in their thinking is in overestimating the detrimental impact of a small slit here or there, when in acutality even significant impedance bumps (say, +/-20% of "nominal" --> 50 ohms nomial going to ~40-60 ohms) of "reasonable" electrical length just don't perturb signals much at all. If they did, simple things like connectors would start becoming Big Deals down in the MHz range rather than the some- to many-GHz range where they usually do.

That being said, I've observed co-workers trying to do things like obtain

60dB isolation at 3GHz on regular old FR-4 circuit boards, and it's not trivial. Without careful design, it's easy to get only, say, 40dB isolation between two traces, even though that's just a *miniscule* amount of energy loss than you're never going to miss it from the original transmitted signal. This is the angle the EMI guys are coming from: While here-a-slit, there-a-slit isn't going to significantly alter your transmitted signal one bit (i.e., your box will still work fine), it can easily cause you to fail EMI testing if you're not careful to make sure those 40-60dB down "sneak" paths never make it out of the box.

I did hear a lecture from one guy who mentioned that if you already have bad enough self-interference (e.g., ground bounce and crosstalk) that your box doesn't work as intended, don't even bother doing an EMI test -- you're already guaranteed to fail. :-)

Have you ever measured the isolation between output channels on your function generators, John? I'd be curious to know the results... :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hi Joel, Good post, thanks! I also would be interested in the answer to the question you pose! Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

I agree, most of this topic is a non-issue. It only becomes one when layouts and/or designs get ugly, usually meaining lack of experience of the designer. Avoid what you can, do what you HAVE to, just do it smart. A bit of thinking before hand will help pass even the most ludicrous tests (and I have seen some doozies).

Reply to
Brian