Re: Sayonara

Maybe your value map works that way. I prefer to look in the mirror when i wash my face.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

I sent you an email.

Michael A. Terrell

:

e:

bedded

Moore

SEj1E

e care

n welfare

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

The Germans have had adequate social security rather longer than you've had inadequate social security - if social security was going to rot anybody's moral fibre, it would have rotted Germany's first.

Neat trick.

Interesting claim. Where's the evidence to support it?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I will respond within a few days.

Reply to
josephkk

Then you have a problem with technique. Your eyelids should be covered not your eyes.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

e:

mbedded

l Moore

_SEj1E

e care

n welfare

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

is

n to grow up

These posts are quite discouraging. In March, when these same arguments were rehashed, I tried to point out the true situation: that welfare was unchanged from the 30s to the 60s; that all that LBJ did was try to break the cycle of welfare recipients raising other welfare recipients by creating such programs as early childhood enrichment and practical job training for youth. Yet the posters here keep slipping back to their contrafactual beliefs. What's worse, unlike fantasies of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, this nonsense is disturbing, not satisfying. What motivates this clinging to unreality?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

:

te:

embedded

el Moore

u_SEj1E

ke care

on welfare

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

it

is

en to grow up

even

.. my

What's the useful life of a woodframe building? If you put it into service as a rental unit, after how many years would the IRS consider even a brick house to be fully depreciated? I believe it's 35 years. Thus those houses should have been completely rebuilt in the mid-90s.

The government housing is run down? Perhaps they don't collect enough in taxes to maintain it. If you mean the single family homes, tiny crackerboxes hurriedly slapped together as part of a government program for returning GIs -- thus a cost of maintaining our armed forces -- are unlikely to survive 65 years of raising families.

Ah, you're afraid of black people.

True that government cannot depigment those who frighten you.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Charlie dimly perceives that many people can't make ends meet. The sad fact is that once Bush's bubble economy burst, no real economic growth replaced it. People who could get family-sustaining wages from manufacturing jobs have no replacements other than retail. Further, even high-paying jobs are being offshored or outsourced. It's a great day to be a Chinaman, but I digress.

Food stamps benefit America's farmers. In the Great Depression, commodity prices sank below the cost of production. Farmers piled oranges to rot, and dumped milk into rivers. Now, the government supplements what farmers get paid for their produce, while families get to eat the farmers' production. This was thought to be win-win.

,

As I pointed out before, few people made more than the zero bracket amount during the Depression. Families are no better off than they were during the Depression. Pay people more, and they will pay more in taxes.

If only there were organizations for workers to join, to raise their pay to the point that they could pay more in federal income tax....

Something's terribly wrong when the US economy cannot produce jobs that will sustain families, for everyone who wants one.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

te:

bedded

Moore

SEj1E

e care

n welfare

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

is

en to grow up

Shrimp is a cheap food these days, cheaper than vertebrate fish.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Food stamps have been around since the 1950s that I know of. Using the normal food distribution system makes more sense than having the government duplicate part of it. American farmers grow a lot of food

-- in the 60s and 70s practically everything in the supermarket was American-grown and processed.

Although my inlaws did receive free generic Velveeta and nonfat dry milk in the 1980s. They just went down to the senior center to pick it up.

A combination of low wage workers and tax subsidies make products relatively cheap.

s/machines/Asians/

Do you want a houseful of cheap crap, or a job that will support a family?

In the process we've lost our national treasure, the Yankee ingenuity that made us the most productive manufacturers in the world.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

e:

mbedded

l Moore

_SEj1E

e care

n welfare

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

is

n to grow up

ild the

dea,

Goes back to the Depression. Republicans would not pay anything if the husband and father lived with the family, whether he earned anything or not.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

rement

What jobs are going begging for want of workers where you live? My godson is graduating without a job lined up.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

,

tirement

t it

you

nding

and

ith

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Since josephkk is a right-wing nitwit, what he means by "economic nonsense" is "economics that doesn't make sense to right-wing nitwits", which is practically everything since Adam Smith - they aren't very bright.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I couldn't quickly find exactly when it started.

Right.

The stuff that's gotten cheapest most quickly didn't have much subsidy at all. Wages go low when a product or service doesn't provide marginal product that keeps up with economic growth.

For *food* the subsidy regime seems to have kept prices stable and low.

First one, then the other.

That smacks of false alternative. And I'm pretty sure the answer will be "both".

We still are the most productive. Labor inputs into that production are just declining.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

rement

James Arthur's ever-reliable perceptions tell him that they "simply don't want to work". They told him the same story about me, and he was silly enough to believe them, and proceeded to invent a few job offers that he supposed that I refused, when in fact I never got further than about one job interview per year, none of which ever yielded a job offer.

Right-wing nitwits love inventing evidence - it's much easier and quicker than finding out what is actually going on, and always seems to give them the answer they want, when reality is less accommodating.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

welfare

grow up

Probably true with fish, but not cheap in relation to chicken. Shrimp prices have been driven down by farm raised imported shrimp. The boats get less per pound now then they did twenty years ago. The last few years we have been selling 15 count head on shrimp for $7.50 per lb. After removing head and shell you have about 60% left, that's about $12.50 per consumable pound for protein. My medium size are about $10 after cleaning. I get a newsletter about shrimp and one of the large wholesalers in the Fl. panhandle now has 55 acres of shrimp farming ponds. I'm not sure how long we will have wild caught shrimp. Early on in shrimp farming it was said you could get three crops a per years within 15 degrees of the equator, and only one in the panhandle. I don't know if they have worked around that problem. Someone even has a shrimp farm in Michigan.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

rote:

embedded

el Moore

u_SEj1E

ake care

on welfare

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

it

p.

d" is

dren to grow up

ry

nt

sed

in

BT?"

re.

rket.com/

I recall "tiger prawns" being raised in conjunction with flooded rice fields in Malaysia years ago. Reminded me of a co-worker's dad raising catfish on the chicken shit his laying hens produced.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Moore

care

welfare

grow up

Michigan.http://www.shrimpfarmmarket.com/

Asian Tiger shrimp have been caught in the Gulf of Mexico and in St. Andrews Bay Fl. in the panhandle. I have got 4 shrimp in my purchases.

Or the google search;

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Really? There is an entire subdivision of prefab homes in Ohio that were built in 1945. Only a few are missing, after a fire or other major damage. I know people that live in that area. Some who bought the house from their parents when they retired. The house I grew up in was one of them, and it's still in good condition in the aerial & road view on Google Maps.

Michael A. Terrell

spamtrap1888 is auto-killfiled by my system (googlegroups), but he appears, from your quote above, to be a surrogate for namwolS... ignorant beyond belief, but extra loud to compensate. ...Jim Thompson