Room Effects Filter

Is there any audio processing steps to remove, from a recording, that "boxy" (multi-echo) sound that results from using a single microphone in a large room?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Depends on the mount of additive noise - but yes. Essentially deconvolution will do this assuming you know the transfer function of the medium that created the boxy sound in the first place. There are all sorts of problems though eg non-minimum phase transfer functions of the room, SNR and so on.

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

Ask over on comp.dsp. It's theoretically possible, and either really hard or practically impossible for any purpose other than getting it piled higher and deeper.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Figures :-(

...Jim Thompson

I see a bunch of references to AEC Automatic Echo Cancelation, But I fear these are for recording or for net meeting. Not for a pre recorded tape.

Martin Riddle

Don't give up yet! Ask over there -- I'm no expert, if it's merely really hard it could be a solved problem already.

Whatcha doin? The hard part isn't negating the effect of the room, it's figuring out what room the effect of which needs to be negated.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott