Re: OT: Solid state hard drives

I suspect there are more than a few on this group who are interested in

> solid state hard drives. The 512 GB drives (one that I am considering) are > starting to become an affordable way to offer new life for an older desktop. > BUT, the reported reliability of SSHDs is not encouraging. Any of you with > thoughts or experiences with this? > > Thanks > >

I run a LOT of SSDs. I have 6 laptops with SSDs in them, two of them are desktop replacement units with dual 512GB drives. All the laptops have been going strong, 6+ months, no issues so far. ASUS 73G, one OCZ 512GB ASUS G74, One OCZ 512GB, one Crucial 512GB ASUS G75, two OCZ 512GB SSD

2) ASUS K53, one OCZ SSD ASUS K72 with an Intel 320 Series 160GB

My main work station has 4 512GB OCZ drives in a striped array.

7 Months, no problems.

Bench PC with my test equipment with Win7 32 bit, two Crucial 256GB in striped array, going strong for over a year.

The *only* problem I have had was some issue OCZ had with a series of drives (Octane 512GB) that just died, probably a soldering/production issue, not an SSD issue per se', but a pain in the butt. OCZ did replace all my drives without a hassle.

I have all but purged rotating media in everything but the NAS drive that has 8 TB of Western Digital drives.

Really, so far so good. I probably do more backups than the average user, but I did that before I made the switch.

Do you have any specific questions?

Reply to
WangoTango

are

desktop.

with

Not much experience yet. Just the same i am building a operating systems on the SSD system including swap space. Having some issues installing Win7. All the linuxes i have tried install just fine, except for video; which uses the open source radeon driver which will not provide useful output to HDMI. Installing the proprietary drivers should solve that.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

in

considering)

older

Any

All really fast SSDs are faster than the best reasonably available interfaces, unless you get a internal PCIe card with 16 lanes (not SATA, but you can use the protocols) (think very fast video cards). USB SSD drives that are not USB 3 cannot hope to equal SATA II let alone SATA III. (USB 2 being way slower with an additional layer of overhead, and USB 3 speed comparable with another layer of overhead).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

in

considering) are

desktop.

you with

They are so fast on read that SATA III cannot keep up. You need faster interfaces, like SATA 3 protocol on a 16 lane PCIe card.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

By track record never use MS indexing. It slows down the machine and slows down searches. If you do not know what the VM is for turn it off. Doesn't matter what kind of disk yo have. PS just a few paragraphs above you say to turn indexing off, which is it?

Lappie and note book drives have had them for many years.

Not so much at 250 GB and up. Always limited by magnetic rotating HD anyway.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. SSDs have to be on SATA III to get anything like the stated benchmark performance on bulk read.

I have numbers to hand for the Samsung 830 on SATA in my system:

3G channel: SeqWr 234 SeqRd 245 SeekR/W 178 6G channel: SeqWr 393 SewRd 461 SeekR/w 191

The 6G I/O channel is not saturated for Write and is borderline for Read (but it is very quick). A better cable improved things somewhat.

Normal disk use for random access is not being affected at all by the bandwidth limit of the interconnect. Raw sequential read speed might be very slightly on read but not on write.

Optimised I eventually got to SeqWr 390, SeqRd 510 SeekR/W 199 A different (better?) shorter cable made the difference.

Corresponding numbers for a spinning metal HD are something like: SeqWr 10 SeqRd 90 SeekR/w ~20

So for the right problem SSD can be over an order of magnitude faster. Loading OS & applications is roughly 5x faster.

You can gain additional performance with a RAID0 array pair if you wish.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown