Toyota Solid State Battery

It supposedly will give a vehicle 900 mile range someday. No details.

Dean Hoffman

Only problem is money. The graph indicates cost of +40% more. To pack 2x to 3x more cells with 40% more dollars. We are looking into $1/4M area.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Higher battery energy density is great, but will make the batteries burn or explode even worse than the existing ones.

They might get to be as dangerous as tanks of gasoline.

Batteries don't actually explode, and more than gas tanks do. The energy density isn't high enough. Bought and paid for retailers of climate change denial propaganda are happy to ignore this inconvenient detail. John Larkin seems to be paid in flattery rather than cash, but he does broadcast their version of "reality" on a regular basis.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Yes, someday we will all carry phones with us and see the people we are talking to. Oh, wait, we do have that!

Ricky

Yes, it will be almost as bad as gasoline!

It's funny that at other times, Larkin has talked about how impractical battery cars are because the energy density of batteries is so LOW!

Larkin is a strange guy. He can't even remember which way he is arguing a topic. I guess he's getting old.

Reply to
Ricky

Particularly when you're dumping a megawatt into it, to charge it in the time taken to gas up a real car. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A gasoline station pump is equivalent to more like 6 megawatts of usable power.

A battery really shouldn't explode while being charged.

The charger can monitor the battery state while the battery is being charged - its got total control of the current going in and direct access to the voltage across the battery.

I don't know much about the charger connector, but I was under the impression that modern electric car batteries had built-in temperature monitors and a fast charger should have access to that.

You'd have to get the inards of the battery quite hot before you'd get into runaway self-discharge - while is the kind of technical point that John Larkin and Flyguy don't like thinking about.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

But John Larkin's brain doesn't seem to be able to access much useful knowledge or do much with the limited knowledge that it has got.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman