Re: OT: Rants on election

The _Senate_Ethics_Committee_ cleared McCain, but censured him for using poor judgment.

I don't want want someone clueless at the helm as much as I don't want a crook there. The next few years are going to require intense oversight by Congress and the Administration of the banking and investment businesses.

Oh, those evil Democrats. Charging four of their own with ethics violations. Partisanship run wild!

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Bennett, the special prosecutor, recommended no action be taken against McCain. But you worthless Democrats couldn't cope with only Democrats censured. So the useless Democrat-controlled committee left him in.

We WILL get even ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On September 11, around 6AM, seven years ago, 4 telephone calls in
rapid succession, "Mom, Where\'s Dad, Is he flying?"
My wife woke me and turned on the television.
****
We will NEVER forget!
We WILL get even!

Bubbles happen periodically, unless regulation stabilizes the market and prevents them. But they don't happen until the last one has really died out. So the mortgage thing doesn't need intense oversight in the next 5 or 10 years... that's too late. It doesn't really need intense oversight at all.

It needs changes in law, with suitably intimidating penalties, that prevent the next bust in 20 years or so.

John

the

Government, with its various long tentacles of interference, causes these massive clusters of investment error. No one else is powerful enough to do it, or to cause that sort of coincident response. Of course, the private sphere is blamed because it superficially looks like that is where the problem. The the response is typical: the solution to government failure is more government.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Read "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds", published in 1841. Stock markets have been having bubbles since the idea of stock markets was invented. It happened with tulip bulbs, too.

It's a natural dynamic. It's in the public interest to damp the feedbacks that cause runaways.

John

Command-and-Control is Anti-American. Mabye you'd like the economic environment in, say, China or North Korea?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

In electronics, or in a lot of software, that happens all the time.

In the quantum world, that's the *only* way things happen. So the universe must be insane.

John

The Constitution allows Congress to provide for the general welfare. We have had laws and courts to ensure fair and orderly behavior since the country existed; before, if you count English Common Law.

Little people like you and me would be totally ripped off by the pros if there weren't reasonable legal structures to protect us. You benefit from them, too.

What's wrong with preventing market manipulation? With fairness in lending laws? With preventing fraud? With preventing insider trading? With full disclosure of the finances of public corporations?

John

Yes... like installing another Republican administration to get change.

I don't expect it to be much different, but then Republican fervor is not my particular kind insanity.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

John Popelish wrote in news:EL2dnZe19avwK1TVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Newsflash;Omaba would not bring about the sort of "change" you envision. It's insanity to think otherwise,considering his record and history.

(after all,he's a product of the Chicago political machine)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

ge.

Do you mean after the Bush tax increase or the Obama tax cut? Bush's tax plan contained a timeout after which the taxes would go back up. This will be the Bush tax increase. He needed to include it so that the "creative accounting" could be done so that people wouldn't see the huge debt he was adding to the nation. Obama has proposed a better tax cut than Bush's that for most people will mean a decrease in taxes.

Reply to
MooseFET

Where the dead only vote twice.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's only to ensure that the parties to the contract adhere to their particular clauses.

Whether the contract is _fair_ or not is none of the government's business

- if you don't like the deal, don't sign off on it.

Oh, sure, like laws against theft and stuff - but the way to protect yourself from the pros is to not buy their crap. The best answer, of course, is the Free Market. Competition, you know? You must know something about that.

What is it you mean by "manipulation"? The manipulation that NEEDS to be prevented is manipulation by the government, because it's in opposition to Free Will, therefore Anti-American.

We need more Caveat Emptor. If some idiot buys a mortgage that both he and the lender know he can't pay off, but they're both betting on the bubble, well, when the bubble pops, they're supposed to lose!

Again, educate yourself, and if the deal isn't "fair" (whatever that may be to you), then don't sign! Duh!

You use the term "prevent" here. That's ridiculous. The government can't _prevent_ ANYTHING - just try to capture the perps and get revenge on them.

And anyway, don't they already have that?

But first, give me full disclosure of the finances of the government.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

What was the quantum world expecting?

Did you know that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is nothing more than an attempt to quantize/quantify Free Will? >:->

Free Will looks like chaos, but only to those who hate and fear it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Either way, the country as the Founding Fathers intended her is quickly going down the toilet - into communism under the liberals, or into fascism under the neocons.

Would you rather be skinned alive or boiled in oil? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Any time you'd like to start making sense, we're ready.

John

Why so down? Life in the USA is better than ever, and far better than when the country was founded.

John

Of course not. Lots of things are plain illegal, no matter who signs what.

Wrong. You can't sell a kid, or a bazooka, or sign away your basic civil and legal rights, no matter how dumb you are.

I've heard of that.

Some people just aren't smart. It's not their fault. Why let the unscrupulous take advantage of them?

Why bother to license doctors, if Caveat Emptor is all we need?

Criminal penalties prevent a lot of bad stuff.

It's a lot of reading, but it's available.

John

Because, evidently, that's the only hope they have of ever _getting_ smart! It's wrong to steal the earings of responsible people to protect the negligent from the consequences of their own stupidity.