Re: OT: Rants on election

[snip]
> THat's good, but unless I've been seeing the charts wrong, the price of > copper is down, the price of natural gas is down, the price of coal is > down, the price of oil is down, the prices of precious metals are down, the > price of steel is down, and so on.

Yes, but down from where? Oil may be just above $100, but that's still $40/$50 above where OPEC says it should be.

No sane commodities _business_ based their plans on $140/bbl oil and, as they are still doing quite well. Speculators don't count. That they are taking it in the shorts just makes me smile.

So the cost of doing business, so to speak, is down, which means companies > that use these raw materials can maintain their product pricing but make > more profit. Which would lead to some rises in various stock prices.

Yes. But one of the most important commodities for any business, money, is getting tight. While I'm not going to assign blame to the current administration for this situation, the next one is going to have to pay close attention to keep the economy from spinning out of control. I don't think the GOP is up to the task.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com:

Down from what they got to during the Silly Season ;)

I also don't meen down as in, ready to collapse - I personally think it's mainly a correction following a bubble.

I can see $80 a bbl, but not sure about anything lower.

Right, the stocks are what's gone wonky.

True enough - mainly, the commodities prices ren't "adding insult to injury" so to speak; I think that relief is better than none.

In the end, you're right - and it's better to look forward, since the past can't be changed.

WHat bothers me about the GOP is that I was honestly hoping to hear some real solutions, or at least reasonable suggestions, during the cvonvention, but it mostly sounded like a prolonged Rush Limbaugh show, and I ended up becoming annoyed and bored, and didn't stick with it. Denegrating "the other candidate" might be *part* of politics, but it's by no means adequate as a *platform*.

I saw most of the CNN special today, and will catch the first part at 1AM, and IMO, it was a relief, and infromative, to hear the candidates actually talk about real things without resorting to mere attacks. We'll see whether a sensible attitude continues tomorrow...I keep waiting to hear something substantial re: the very things you mentioned.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

You mean like McCain agreeing to the fannie/freddie bailout?

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie