Re: OT Proven Alternative Energy

Dear jim:

> > Todd Rich wrote: > >> >> His main concern was the plutonium extracted from >> reprocessing. However it also represents additional >> fuel instead of waste, and other countries are doing >> it now. We've pretty much cut ourselves off at the >> ankles and are forcing ourselves to use coal instead >> to power our country. > > But isn't that argument a bit disingenuous? It is my > understanding that there is nothing preventing the > construction of nuclear reactors in the US.

Coal-fired plants go up in months, while nuclear reactors take years.

Investors simply choose to invest in Coal fired plants > rather than nuclear.

Yes, because it makes profit sooner, many fewer permits, its radioactive waste is allowed to blow downwind, and the anti-nuke crowd doesn't seem to care.

Government regulations do have an effect on the cost - > there is no doubt about that. For instance, > requirements for heavy containment structures for > nuclear reactors make the capital investment much > larger than it would be for building a Chernobyl type > structure.

Nah, its the "birth certificates" for every component and triple+ redundancy that carry the cost.

And sure the government regulations could be > changed so that investment in fossil fuel infrastructure > would also cost as much due to their long term > negative consequences. And that is really the > difference between the US and other countries. If > there was a heavy carbon tax in the US as there > is in many other countries then capital investment > would naturally start to flow to nuclear energy.

Some. More would go to wind, solar, and power generation from waste too.

But right now there is not only not a tax in > recognition of the long term negative consequences > of carbon fuel use, the US government actually spends > a huge amount of tax money from other sources > subsidizing the use of carbon based fuels.

No need. Cite the coal fired plants for releasing radioactive materials and arsenic. That will shut them down.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Instead of shutting down 70% US electric production, just task them with cleaning up after themselves, rather completely; and tax them for the amounts left undone.

Reply to
JosephKK

And the difference between a tax for not doing what one are supposed to do, and a fine, is what? Just criminal penalties for knowingly placing nearby communities at risk?

Should they be able to continue placing nearby communities at risk, as long as it is economically viable to continue business as usual and simply pay the "dumping fee"?

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Have you ever heard of Love Canal, Exxon Valdeze, or Bhopal?

Reply to
JosephKK