Semi OT: Energy Star

Was "Energy Star" ever at all useful to consumers?

It seems in the vein of the "Can't Enforce" logo. My guess is that manufacturers are way more scared of bad Amazon reviews these days than having to slap on a sticker.

IIRC for many appliances like TVs for a long time active power wasn't even factored in.

Reply to
bitrex

It was for consumers - those that cared would be more likely to buy the more energy efficient models. I know when I am am buying an appliance the energy usage is of some consideration and thus of value.

I'm sure there are all kinds of flaws with the standard (think Audio Output measured in various 'Watts'), but it does give you an idea, and if all manufacturers have to adhere to the same standard then there is a reasonable chance that the information is valid.

Of course Volkswagen found a way around EPA standards...

John

Reply to
John Robertson