Re: Oh my! Nostalgia!

Jim Thomps>

>> Oh my! Nostalgia! >> >> Stumbled onto this site... >> >>

I built at least six different tube power amplifiers, starting with

6V6, then 6L6, then a variety of 6550, KT88 and similar.

...Jim Thompson

Mine was with PL509 tubes. Those are color TV flyback drivers rated at

30W plate dissipation. But you could push them up to 70-80W dissipation before the plates went from cherry-red to orange.

Of course having to always watch the plates and make sure they don't go too far into an orange glow was a hassle. So, I built the gorilla of all amplifiers with two of these puppies:

5kV on the plates. Those tubes can easily pack away 500W of plate dissipation without a whiff of redness. Each.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to