Re: Oh my! Nostalgia!

and here we have a fine group i shall dub "the mu men" or "the mu-see-ums" ;-))

solid, easy to get along with and sensible, no foolishness with p-layer punch thru or bonding failures!

and tubes may actually be repaired too, nothing like those flimsy silicon flakes!

:-))

Oh my! Nostalgia! > > Stumbled onto this site... > >
> > I built the FM3 and the PAS2 when I was a kid ;-) > > ...Jim Thompson > -- > | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens | > | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | > | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | > | Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | | > | E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat | > |
| 1962 | > > America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave
Reply to
<hapticz

Tubes are for real men. When they fail, they often do so in a rather spectacular manner. Molten glass splattering about and all that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I've actually seen _tubes_ repaired. They were big metal-ceramic transmitting tubes, like 3CX15000Z. A little company in Louisiana (there must be a lot of them, scattered about) cuts a dead tube open on a lathe and installs a fresh cathode assembly, which includes a copper tube to connect to the vacuum pump. They also have glassblower's lathes for handling the old tubes, but I don't think any of those are still in service.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

And just what tubes were those? Of the about about 1000 failed tubes that i have seen well over 95% were just filament / heater failures; and not one broken envelope except for two mechanical shock victims.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Somewhere in my stuff i still have a pair of 4CX600Js. Someday i will want sockets and "chimneys" for them.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller