Re: Novice needs help with crazy project

Late at night, by candle light, "jerry" penned this immortal opus:

Gurus, > >I need your help... > >I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the >triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to >solve. > >The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip >a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the >next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and >need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course >and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old >digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back >of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles. > >Sound crazy? I did a Google search and found that someone has >patented the same idea... > >
> >The thing is, as far as I can tell it's never been built, and I need >your help to build it. > >I took apart a digital camera and was able to power it up and get an >image on the LCD, but the LCD is connected to the camera by what looks >like a proprietary 24 wire ribbon cable and connector that I would >need to build an extension to. Any ideas if that is possible? It >would need to be about 15"-20" long to go from the back of my head to >the front of my goggles. The ribbon is about 1" now. Do you think >the picture quality would get much worse at 15"? > >Another issue is that the camera has a lot of extra stuff on it that I >don't need. Do you think there is a way to trim it down to just the >ccd, lcd, a battery and a switch? Do you think a phone would be a >better starting point? I took apart a broken camera phone and I was >able to separate the pieces - but it has the same issue - a very thin >proprietary ribbon cable. > >Any other ideas? Am I crazy? > >Any help would be greatly appreciated! > >Thanks! > >jerry > >p.s. please respond to my e-mail and the group.

Optical periscope. A tube with some lenses and mirrors.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to