Help! My spice computer needs windows reinstalled...

Hi! Actually somewhat out of topic in this ng, BUT in fact used for SPICE which is electronic associated, I think this question won't hurt anyone: I need to reinstall windows XP. Does the "Repair" (R) function in the install menu just reinstall windows and still let my programs and outlook mails and such be intact? I realize desktop shortcuts and icons may disappear but that's not a problem. I just need to know that mails and programs are still operationable. By the way, could anyone tell me how to "export" mails in Outlook for backup and possibly putting into a new Outlook installation? Thanks,

Reply to
powerampfreak

Step 1 take the HD drive out of the PC, Step 2 put it in another PC, not as the C drive, but D: or E:etc. Step3 copy it/clone it/ salvage/whatever Step4 Pray, travel the web, search for answers, Grasshopper

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Yes - salvage whatever etc - and do a full reinstall - dont bother repairing, it could cause more problems.

Reply to
Josh

Over a decade ago, sci.electronics was split up into the multiple newsgroups you see today because traffic got too heavy, at least according to some.

Now sci.electronic.design is full of off-topic junk like yours, all claiming some legitimacy for posting here, when it's really laziness in finding the right newsgroup.

So now we have sci.electronic design that is relatively high traffic like sci.electronics circa 1995, yet most of it is irrelevant because it's all off topic.

YOu've just added to the clutter with your post because you are too lazyto find a computer-related newsgroup to ask your question.

It's no different from the weather related posts, or the people asking questions that belong somewhere else in the sci.electronics.* hierarchy. They all add up to clutter.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Nope, it's a community, with bickering neighbours, wise sages (occasionaly), and a bit or 3 of electronics.

BTW who are you? Please introduce yourself

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

mart>Nope, it's a community,

...in which the Google Grouper OP is a first-time poster

and wouldn't recognize Usenet it bit him in the fleshy parts.

I think that was the point being made. Black is a purist who rails against OT posts and the laziness that spawns them (especially with Usenet newbies and those who have never before posted to this group).

Like you

Black is a long-time contributor to this group
as well as Usenet at large

Ample evidence that Michael is correct WRT *wrong group*:

(Not to mention the old GIYF thing.)

Reply to
JeffM

Yes; boot with the CD as if you were going to do an install. Then after the "Welcome to Setup", press enter for the "To set up Windows XP now,press ENTER". Press F8 to agree. ..."use the UP and Dpown ARROW keys to select an installation" "To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R"

----> Press R and everything from that point forward will act exactly like a fresh installation, including the stupid "If floppy disk in drive A, remove it" which *really* means "remove CD", as well as re-entering the key serial number. All programs will be intact, the desktop will be intact; i cannot say for OutRook as it is a POS that should *NEVER* be used unless someone pays you at least a million dollars tax free! (Ditto for InsipidExasperator). I suspect that crap will also be there, because data on the hard drive is not altered by this repair procedure.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The repair steps i mentioned work very well; i have not seen any problems, and i know others that have the same experience.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Maybe, but many computer questions go unanswered on the computer NGs, but *do* get answered here. So, would you post a question in an "appropiate" NG with the probability of 30% or less of getting an answer, or post in an "inappropiate" NG with the probability of 90% or more of getting an answer?

Reply to
Robert Baer

roups

iming

ke

ll

yto

r?- D=F6lj citerad text -

Thanks, Robert

By the way, reason for re-installing is that windows crashes each time a PDF is opened in a "frame" inside a webpage. One time it said something about VB runtime error, so maybe it's easier to some how reinstall these alone? Is it possible?

Reply to
powerampfreak

Hi, powerampfreak

Your profile will be deleted. Just save this before.

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

Your PDF reader prog may be corrupted; try uninstall/reinstalling it before you go messing with your Windoze install.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Dölj citerad text -

Absolutely! I think the VB runtime files are EXE, and they can be found and downloaded; save the downloaded files in the same folder that the present ones are; go ahead and over-write those you find. Version numbers are a part of the filename in that case. I am running Win98SE and have not installed any progs that need VB support,so all i found were the OSes basic DLL progs which could be refreshed from the CD (somehow). Am unable to look what i have in Win2K (different drive and file structure).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Good idea, but uninstall *never* removes everything; there may be files and folders left on the HD, and ther definitely will be registry entries littering about.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I think if you poke around in acrobat there is an option to open pdf files *outside* of the browser, rather than inside the browser window.

This used to fix the problem for me.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Not if you know what you are doing.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Late at night, by candle light, snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) penned this immortal opus:

At a minimum a sci.electronics.pissing_contests is needed.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to