looking for HV power supply with decent current

Looking to build, as simple as possible and cost effectively, a 100 KV power supply capable of supplying up to 5 mA current. I'd like it to be able to handle loads of all types, allow sparking ability, and be able to run free without connections. An old style induction coil comes to mind, but surely there are other options and I'd like something a lot smaller.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Lobo

Um, that's 500 watts, with all the problems of high voltage supplies. Sounds like an X-ray power supply, and those ain't small.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

"Run free without connections"?

John

Sorry, that means unloaded and not having damage without a load.

Reply to
Chris Lobo

Yep. It must use AGW as the power source ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Cool. If you put your sigfile at the top, the whole post disappears.

John

Find a surplus X-ray supply - building something like this will be very difficult and expensive.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Having worked with 60KV 5 mA in the lab, thats not something to take lightly. About the only wire you can get easily for it is a high grade RG8 coax. May I ask what you need it for?

Try Gamma High Voltage, in Florida, their price to performance ratio was very good and their stuff can take a beating.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

In another life I worked on similar equipment. Scary stuff.

a7yvm109gf5d1

Something like this?

Expect to shell out $3K or so.

Martin Riddle

Try 5 Mev irradiation units.

60Kv is nothing. Just a fire cracker.

We like taking the breakers out on the 12kv service lines when things go wrong :)

Also, when we get moister inside the vessel at 5 Mv, it does some nice damage. The DOM's just don't seem to react quick enough to save the expensive components.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Sounds dangerous on your part.

Do you really need 5ma? would your application be suitable via a tesla coil?

If you really are looking for a 100KV@5ma's. that's 500 watts. And the next question would be if you need that in DC/AC ?

DC would be a simpler matter, because you can use a voltage multiplier

Of course, those are on the large scale, but you get the idea.

DC is the simplest to do, you start with a lower voltage of AC and pass it to a multiplier..

For size, you a frequency that will allow for use of small capacitors and small xformer. 100KHz or up!.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Late at night, by candle light, John Larkin penned this immortal opus:

Must be your newsreader.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Yes, and my newsreader also interprets the sig delimiter properly.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My other toys were 275V 60 amp hot cathode dc arcs, 3 feet long, in argon and krypton ion lasers. But you can have the 5 MEV.... yikes.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Working on those nominations for the '09 Darwin Awards a bit early, aren't we?

IRS: We\'ve got what it takes to take what you\'ve got.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Based in that very loose and poor set of requirements, i suggest a hopped up Kahini ignition (40 kHz inverter driving an ignition coil).

Reply to
JosephKK

No. RG-8 won't take that. Target is 100 kV not 10 kV. Automotive ignition leads can handle that for a while. For real, correctly configured cable see a high voltage vendor, and it will not be cheap.

Reply to
JosephKK