Re: My Vintage Dream PC

jmfbahciv writes:

> >> Patrick Scheible wrote: >> > jmfbahciv writes: >> > >> >> Bill Leary wrote: >> >>>> Patrick Scheible wrote: >> >>>>> GreenXen>> >>>>> >> >>>>>> Hi: >> >>>>>> >> >>>>>> My vintage dream PC contains the most advanced motherboard [in terms >> >>>>>> of ability to handle the highest processor speed of it's type as well >> >>>>>> as maximum RAM capability] that contains the most amount of 16-bit ISA >> >>>>>> slots but does not contain any PCI or other non ISA also. It does not >> >>>>>> even have any EISA or SCSI. >> >>>>>> >> >>>>>> Here are the other specs of my vintage dream PC >> >>>>>> >> >>>>>> 1. OSes: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0] and the most advanced >> >>>>>> version of DOS fully compatible with the other softwares/hardwares in >> >>>>>> my vintage dream PC. >> >>>>> [snip] >> >>>>> >> >>>>> Windows 3.0?? More like my vintage nightmare PC. >> >>>> Dammit! Windows is not, I repeat, NOT an OS. >> >>> For the version under discussion, yes, this is/was pretty much true. >> >>> >> >>> Today, and for some time, it actually was/is an OS. >> >> Not really. What do you think the terms NT and Vista exist? >> > >> > Because "Windows" by itself is too vague to trademark. (And also to >> > designate specific releases.) >> >> Monitor releases which is not the app. > >The monitor and the interface are the same for late versions of >Windows. They are released together, sold together, and used together. > >> > >> >>> Note that I'm not saying a thing about whether that's good or not. Or >> >>> even if it's good or not. >> >>> >> >> Windows is the app. >> > >> > In Windows 3.x, 95, 98, and ME, yes. In Windows NT, XP, and Vista, >> > the windows interface is inseparable from any other part of the OS. >> >> I don't care if it's inseparable; that was a battle that Cutler >> lost. Allowing the app to have hard wired roots in the monitor is, >> probably, The source of all its bugs. > >Oh, Windows has so *many* bugs, I'd hate to ascribe all of them to >just *one* of its design flaws...

I would be interested in hearing from you an OS that is free from bugs.

> > Putting the interface in the kernel is one of its design flaws. >> >> That's because their developers didn't know how to do app code. >> They were so used to having their way with putting app code >> into the exec, that they thought they had to do the same with >> VMS. that's one of the hard and fast rules that DEC didn't >> tend to do....allow any old user mode code have direct read/write >> access to exec code. That's why the bit gods invented UUOs and >> CALLIs. > >The PC world did not learn from the mini and mainframe world very >much. Sacrifices that were arguably necessary to make usable systems >on affordable PCs in the late 70s-early 80s continued to be made in >the 90s and even today, when PCs are easily powerful enough for >separation between user code and monitor code. > >-- Patrick > >
Reply to
The Real Andy

This is s specious argument. Since no OS is perfect, therefore all are equally buggy. Obviously some are more buggy than others which were designed for reliability, not for flash.

Reply to
Peter Flass

What is desired is an OS that tends to be robust even in the face of bugs.

The way NT let the nose of the display-system-and-UI camel in under the flap of the OS kernel is a good example -- indeed, by now a textbook example -- of how _not_ to achieve this.

--
Roland Hutchinson

He calls himself "the Garden State\'s leading violist da gamba,"
... comparable to being ruler of an exceptionally small duchy.
--Newark (NJ) Star Ledger  ( http://tinyurl.com/RolandIsNJ )
Reply to
Roland Hutchinson

The advantage of a small kernal OS is that a small number of very good people - as few as one - can write the core of the OS. Once you move stuff like GUIs into the kernal space, you have hundreds of programmers dumping thousands of modules into the part that can crash and take the whole system down.

The ultimate OS should maybe be hardware, fpga probably, or an entirely separate processor that runs nothing but the os.

John

You just described OS4000, running on the GEC 4000 series minicomputers. The only code you can run on the system runs in processes. The Kernel is all hardware and firmware, and you can't change or modify it. The later models in the range were fpga instead.

GEC did experiment with such a system too, but it never turned into a product.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

CDC-6600.

Reply to
Peter Flass

In a few years, when most any decent CPU has 64 or so cores, I suspect we'll have one of them run just the OS. But Microsoft will f*** that up, too.

John

1 for the OS 3 for the GUI 50 for DRM 9 for WGA 1 for the apps
--
Steve O\'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

Not very efficient, it would be a return to the bad old days of master-slave or asymmetric multiprocessing. The problem usually isn't the CPU anyhow, it's memory corruption, and multiple cores don't solve this problem.

Reply to
Peter Flass

I've been hearing about their next release. Not good at all.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Which will cause every system to grind to a halt. think about networking.

Which will still require one CPU to be "boss".

The problem is scheduling. Memory corruption would be isolated to an app address space, not the monitor's.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Based on what I've just heard, 1000 for the file system arranger.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Efficiency wouldn't be hurt much if 1/64 of your immense compute power goes to management.

Of course, it would only help reliability if the cores were truly hardware-protected from one another. But Intel will f*** that up, too.

John

Why only one? Surely the kernel will be multithreaded.

Reply to
Walter Bushell

Why should it be? All it would do is set up memory management and schedule tasks, so it wouldn't be very busy. Things like file systems and device drivers and network ports could have their own CPUs. If every task in turn has its own CPU, there would be no context switching in the entire system, so there's even less for the supervisor CPU to do.

The simpler it is, the less likely that it can crash. In fact, the OS core should never crash and viruses should be flat impossible.

Windows has become a major threat to national security. We need a new approach.

John

You seem to be assuming a microkernel, with the other functions in other programs. But at this level of description, that's really a variation on the "multithreaded OS" theme.

I'm not sure we need a "new" approach, but we certainly need an approach other than Windows. Coincidentally, I'm typing this on a Linux box.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Wheee it's MP/M all over again.

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

The other way 'round. If you dedicated a core to the OS, it would have to single-thread. If any core can execute any thread the OS can get whatever it needs. It's tempting to just dedicate something, but OS developers decided years ago that the more scheduling flexibility you have, the better.

Reply to
Peter Flass

But having hundreds of very fast cores might suggest revisiting issues decided years ago. We aren't hurting for performance these days as much as we're hurting for reliability and security.

John

Sigh! Now consider that the core containing the OS has a cosmic ray hit it.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv