Comparing mAh AAA NiMH on Ebay

Ebay keyword Results

1000mAh AAA 853 1100mAh 27 1200mAh 18 1300mAh 28 1400mAh 0 1500mAh 13 1600mAh 8 1700mAh 0 1800mAh 41 1900mAh 0

Are NiMh batteries beyond 1000mAh possibly bogus? Anything can be printed on green batteries from Hong Kong.

(From Hong Kong, My mp3 player and memory stick has fake memory. )

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Yes.

Super high mAh NiMH? Feh. It seems the higher their rating, the thinner their separators and the higher their self-discharge rates.

I like batteries that stay charged. I bought a mess of 1.2Ah NiMH AA cells years ago. They hold their charge more than a year, which is great.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Use ENELOOP to get around self-discharge.

Reply to
miso

I understand it's not entirely a matter of the separators. There are several different metal-hydride formulas in use today. Those in which the metal binds the hydrogen more firmly, have a lower tendency to self-discharge, but a lower energy-storage capability. One of those unfortunate tradeoffs...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

On a sunny day (Fri, 22 May 2009 22:55:42 -0700) it happened D from BC wrote in :

It is my experience with some very high capacity NiMH that those have a very big self discharge, so once you need it they are empty :-) I have some 750 mAh and some 500 mAh Panasonic AA, those work just fine. I have some 2500 mAh AA Duracell that self-discharge 100% in a week or 2.

So depends on what you use it for... there seem to be new type of NiMH that has much lower guaranteed self discharge. So that if you grab your digital camera they are not always empty...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 May 2009 11:10:47 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Typo, Should be AAA :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have some, and some of the Ray-O-Vac 'Hybrid' low self-discharge types. I use them in digital cameras, high-drain applications where they sit for long periods between uses.

They seem pretty good.

Some guy at candlepowerforums.com says as they wear the low self-discharge characteristic is the first thing to go. Dunno. I only have a few cycles on mine.

So far so good.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I gladly trade a little capacity to get a cell that won't be empty when I need it.

Like Jan, I have some of the 2,500mAh Energizers that fully self-discharge in one week. Yuk.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Almost certainly.

Correct, and it's neat way for them to dispose of toxic chemicals too.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I've heard stuff in the news about melamine in food and lead paint on toys.