My Rational Dream PC

Hi:

When I was less educated I had described a ?dream PC? of mine. I didn?t realize that my requirements were illogical and canceling each other out ? e.g. wanting low-power, high-speed and no ROM. I wasn?t aware of the fact that I can?t get low-power, high-speed, minimal ROM and not require a cooling system.

A poster named ?MooseFET? educated me about this.

Here is the stupid me in the link:

Now, I?ve changed.

My dream PC is a desktop PC [i.e. not a laptop] and does not have or require any fans [or other cooling equipment], noisy parts [such as the fan], or moving parts [excluding, of course, the electrons that make up the computer?s electronic signals]. My dream PC is also a compromise among the following:

  1. Lowest power
  2. Fastest speed
  3. Lightest weight
  4. Does not generate any perceptible heat [I can touch the insides of this PC -- after it has been on for at least a day and still is on -- in a room that is otherwise cold and still not feel any heat from the PC]
  5. Does not generate any perceptible noise [I can place my ears very close to this PC in a room that is otherwise completely-silent and still not hear anything from the PC]
  6. Most memory
  7. Most storage space
  8. Smallest physical size
  9. Longest lifetime [unlike Flash RAM chips who lose their abilities to function rather quickly due to electrons tearing their way through the insulators]
  10. Takes up the least amount of physical space in the room.
  11. Greatest compatibility with most hardwares and softwares
  12. Fastest internet speed
  13. Anything else most would consider advantageous to a PC [e.g. virus protection and security]

It is important to note that some of the above requirements may cancel the extent to which the other requirements can be met. That is why I said ?compromise?.

Thanks,

Radium

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

Cost: $6 billion dollars.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Why?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

Ooops.. make that $200 billion...

See

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

No you haven't, not one bit.

You are so far out of whack, either drugs got you there, or drugs are needed to get you back to reality.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

You left out lignum vitae slip rings

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

A dream PC is like a dream hammer. It just sits there until you need it, it works, and the head doesn't fall off very often. If it doesn't work like that, it's a nightmare PC.

John

Brendan Gillatt

Is there any PC in the market [in CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc.] that has characteristics closest to my requirements but is affordable those who are not filthy-rich?

Reply to
Green Xenon [Radium]

On Sep 18, 10:44 pm, "Green Xenon [Radium]" wrote: [...]

Make sure it has an off switch and use it.

A fast processor with as much RAM as you can put on it and very fast hard disks. A lot of the time PCs take to do things are times taken by the disk I/O. More RAM lets the OS do more buffering.

Another thing to think about is buying more than one machine. You can set one going on a LTSpice run and then watch youtube on the other.

Do you mean this is a laptop? If so consider what features and connections you can live without.

Strangly enough, this may not mean a laptop. A laptop is normally on a desk. You can take a lot of "desk top" PCs and hide them within a desk. This can make it take less floor space.

Linux.

A copy of LTSpice and "octave"

Reply to
MooseFET

Harddisks don't make very good hammers. Everytime I try a contest between a harddisk and a hammer the harddisk loses.

Reply to
MooseFET

Go away.

Reply to
Don Bowey

I seem to spend around $3000CAN/US in parts to fill a new PC from the local computer shack. I like dualing... ...dual core, dual DDR, dual disks (raid), dual raids (2 raid arrays), dual monitors, dual DVI video cards and soon I'm doing dual computers :P

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Some fast than others. Try that with an 80 pound aluminium casting the old 20/20 drives were made with. I had to use a cutting torch on some of them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sounds more like 'Dueling Computers' Do you hear a banjo? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's about what we paid for our HP boxes: dual bios, dual power supplies, redundant fans, dual-core cpu, ecc memory, eight front-panel hot-plug drive slots, raid controller, four drives, big tower with nice clean layout and cabling, but all built and working.

John

Some of the old ones required the use of my splitting maul.

Reply to
MooseFET

Adds a whole new meaning to 'Data crunching'!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No cup holders? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nah, but I can hear the piggy squeal ;-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse