Re: Metal strip bus?

My project requires hooking up a lot of 120 V wiring

>(hot and neutral) so I figure to use this stuff on wood, >
>I'm sure most guys know about the stuff, >(Of course I'll use the uninsulated stuff ;-), >with woodscrews and washers through the holes to >secure the wiring. > >I seem to recall that type of product in 1/4"-1/8" width >which I could use to form prototype multilayered PCB's >in a quick simple wood plank. >Is anyone familiar with that smaller stuff? >Ken

You are kidding, right?

First, use busbar. Available at all supply houses.

Second, WOOD? WTF?

Reply to
PeterD

For anything other than a test/breadboard, wood is not suitable for this service. Then again, someone who's using hanger strap for buss bar might not realize the implications of this.

Reply to
PeterD

For anything other than a purely temporary test setup, I would definitely want to use proper terminal blocks, or bus bars drilled and tapped for machine screws (with crimped lugs on the wires.)

Even for a temporary test setup, I'd be very reluctant to use the hanger strap material as you suggest. I would be very slightly less reluctant to use the copper hanger strap instead of the galvanized version you suggest.

If you have too many wires in a Marr connector (and the manufacturer specifies how many wires of what size are permissible in each size connector), you can use several Marr connectors with jumpers between them to keep within the suggested limits for the size you are using.

Long exposed 120VAC busses are EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS!! And busses using wood screws into wood are WORSE!

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca