[RANT] XILINX, Are you freaking kidding me ?

So I wanted to know if it was possible to update an old embedded-developmen t kit license that's expired. There's nothing on xilinx' site as far as I c an see that allows for old licenses to be renewed. So I go to the support s ection, fill out the form explaining the situation and send it off.

I promptly get back a canned reply...

--- Cut Here --- Thank you for your inquiry, There are three ways to purchase Xilinx products:

Xilinx Sales Reps:

are best for your design. Online Store:

se Xilinx design tools and a selection of development boards and kits direc tly from Xilinx. Simply locate your product of interest and click the "Buy" link from anywhere on Xilinx.com to get started.

Things to consider before purchasing from the Xilinx Online Store:

ease. Xilinx accepts the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, and American Express

Xilinx Distributors:

t of Xilinx design tools, IP cores, devices, development boards and kits.

offered when purchasing through a Xilinx Authorized Distributor. To learn more about how to reduce your design productivity solution costs, please vi sit

University Faculty:

no charge. University professors must initiate the request at the Universi ty Faculty link above. Thank you, Xilinx Development System Team

--- Cut Here ---

... which is useless [I know what I want to use it for, so no sales reps; T he online store doesn't provide any option I can see; I can't see distribut ors being interested in upgrading a kit I bought directly from Xilinx; I'm not at university].

I didn't actually read the reply until the next day due to work/home email filters, so once I've read it, I send in another request, pointing out that the canned reply wasn't useful and asking the same question again, along w ith "Is it really the case that I have to but a new piece of hardware (whic h I don't want or need) in order to extend a license for a product I bought directly from you ?" because the only way I can see it being possible on t he xilinx site is to re-purchase the same board, thus getting a new license .

Guess what. A few seconds later I get back the exact *same* reply, word for word. No attempt to read/parse the question I asked, just an apparent cann ed reply for any license/purchase question.

I wanted to work on this in the background, with a project that I think cou ld be useful for my work, but it's not official, so I can't go to the suppo rt guys here at work. I would have liked to have tried to use the same devi ce manufacturer as the tens-of-thousands-of-dollars boards that we have her e at work, for ease of later porting, but I'm now so frustrated by the lack of human response, I'm going to look at Altera (or anyone else, really, al l I want is PCIe and some DDR ram)

I *was* prepared to put down my own hard-earned cash to do this, but I'll b e damned if they're getting any of my money now, if they can't even answer a simple question like this, I can't see them being any use once I've spent the money.

Giving up on Xilinx.

Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I am not sure which software or chips you are interested in.

I am running the webpack (free) version that, each time I run it, tells me that my license has expired, but I can keep using it.

I could install a newer version, but haven't done that.

The free version does all the chips that I could afford, so I haven't been interested in others.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Thanks - the board I have could actually be used with Webpack. The extra li cense gets me access to the embedded development kit though. It could be ki nd of useful to have the micro blaze...

Another wrinkle (that I put into the original request to Xilinx, but of cou rse was subsequently ignored) is that the old machine that was used for the licence-id has long since departed to that computer museum in the sky. I t hink I'm allowed 3 "re-licencing" events, so perhaps I'll try just changing the license to the new host-id, and running the app. I don't care if it wa rns me, as long as it works - I'm not that familiar with how xilinx licens ing works though.

So cheers! I'll give it a go. You've been a whole lot more useful than xili nx support :)

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Xilinx licenses don't expire, only the updates / maintenance expires. So theoretically you still own the license to use the software version up to the limit of your maintenance contract (typically one year from last purchase).

If this was an older version of ISE, the license may have been tied to a MAC address or C-drive serial number, either of which would be in human readable form in the license file. Also either of these are easy to clone in a new system. If you still have the old license.dat file you might not need to "re-license" if you can clone the MAC or disk S/N. I have done this in the past when old systems went up in smoke.

--
Gabor
Reply to

Instead of ranting, maybe you should look at your approach. What you call the "support" channel is just a minimum effort at helping those who don't really have support. If they suggest that you contact sales, then why not contact sales? I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. They don't exist solely for taking orders.

I haven't dealt with Xilinx in some years but I have the same issues with Lattice. I find that human support through FAEs is pretty good. Also they have a separate channel for licenses which are updated every year for free. Apparently unlike Xilinx, the Lattice license will stop your software from working when it expires. That part royally sucks. It is always on a Friday after 5 PM when I fire up Lattice Diamond (or previously the "classic" tool) only to find it has expired and I won't be working on the project over the weekend as I had planned. I am starting to learn however and have added the license expiration date to my calendar with a 2 week in advance reminder.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yeah, that does suck. I think the main difference is that Lattice is using third party tools like Synplify whose licenses are time-limited and Lattice can't do anything about it. It was the same for xilinx back when they used the Aldec front-end and FPGA Express for synthesis. No chip provider wants your license to expire if that means you won't be designing in and buying their parts. However the third party tool providers are not getting revenue from chip sales and need another approach. I seem to recall that Xilinx dropped Aldec (or more likely the other way around) because Aldec accused Xilinx of not properly counting the seats of Foundation tools.

--
Gabor
Reply to

Well, it turns out I can install Linux under Parallels on my Mac, fudge the MAC address to be that of the old machine, launch ISE and it asks for a li cence file. I downloaded the licence file from Xilinx, installed it, and it works well - it seemed to give me a new year's worth of time for any dates that weren't marked as 'permanent' in fact, and there's no warning message s on launch.

So, no thanks to Xilinx (well, ok, I'll be fair: some thanks for making the licensing system work this way), but many thanks to those who know more ab out xilinx licensing than I do.

As for contacting sales, the FPGA guys where I work have enough trouble get ting Xilinx to help *them* out, and they spend lots (the last board they ga ve me to write drivers for cost ~$25k, mainly due to the FPGAs, and it's no t as though we just build 1 at a time...). I (personally) spend very little . I've never yet had any luck with a sales(wo)man who didn't see any sort o f profit in it for him/her. If the post-sales support is really handled by 'sales', then it ought to be renamed as such; just like if the 'support' se ction of the website isn't actually there to provide "support", then it's a lso badly named. All IMHO of course.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. I can get on and try to implement my des ign, hopefully show the FPGA guys something they won't laugh *too* much at, and maybe it'll even be useful. Simon

Reply to
Simon

I've been using Xilinx tools at work for chips not supported by WebPack. Process is as following:

  • Ask my Xilinx distributor for a quote on Xilinx Logic Edition.
  • Get the quote and put it into our company purchase system.
  • Wait for our purchase to do their job
  • Wait for email from Xilinx that a new license is available
  • Go to my Xilinx license page to redeem the license we paid for
  • Tie the license to a network NIC (we use floating license)
  • Download license file and restart flexlm
  • Care about updating for one year
  • After one year, either buy new license or don't bother

According to my distributors excellent FAE:

  • A purchased Xilinx license is valid forever
  • Updates are available 1 year from purchase.
  • After this, the last update within the 1 year time is fixed
  • To get an update after 1 year has passed, buy a new license
  • There is no upgrade price reduction.
  • Going from Logic Edition to System Edition is System Edition price

Of all FPGA tools we have, Xilinx is the least difficult one. As long as we do development on new FPGA chips, we buy a license. When product goes into production and development stops, we have a perpetual right to use the dev tools from Xilinx for maintenance of our product.

I see all the time that sneaky bugs needs to be rooted out two or three years into the product life. Xilinx will still work on the old license code, while ModelSim and Synopsys will require us to keep paying yearly fees to be allowed to use for a week or two to find a bug.

--
Svenn
Reply to

You may want to try your distributor. It's been a few years since I've actively worked on anything FPGA (apparently I write HDL for my algorithms so that real FPGA guys have something to sneer at), but when I did, I got zero help from Xilinx, and great big loads of help from our local Avnet field applications engineer. Avnet has some arrangement with Xilinx that makes sure that they get paid if you design in parts due to their efforts, and at least our local guy here has been incredibly helpful.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services