Re: Hierarchical PDF-printing with Mentor "IC Station Schematics"?

and

>you'll never convince most of them to change to anything else. > >I do! ...except for Crapture, where I have no choice. You, however, =

seem to

be saying that the network admin knows more about my job than I do.

Most any network Admin very likely knows more about how to setup a computer to do what you need to get your work done than you have time to bother with. Often including CAD/CAE software. By the same token your admin probably cannot drive any specialty software nor get the most out = of ordinary office applications, let alone do your job. But then i have = been in the server and workgroup admin post for others in the workplace = before.

Reply to
josephkk

Bullshit. They have no idea what programs I even need to do my job.

Horseshit.

An engineer in an IT admin job is a total waste of resources.

Reply to
krw

use

and

seem to

DO try reading what i actually sent.

of

been

before.

Your prejudice is showing. Then again your personal experience may very well have helped to create it. You may have dealt with as many local incompetent "admins" as i have "engineers". Telephone (vendor) support has long ago gone lowest common denominator "is it plugged in?".

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

Acrobat 9

contains

text

if I'm

vector

as a

it.

run.

it.

reader

for

was

it

at

client

OCR

:-(

Please do remember that what they are selling is editing pdf format, not the OCR capabilities.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

Sure, but if they tout OCR in their ads I have come to expect things like that to works at least as good as similar software did 20+ years ago. Or is that asking too much these days?

Imagine you buy a new car today and then discover that it doesn't have power steering or brake assist, things you dad's Studebaker had :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Now, THAT is a challenge. (I'm reminded of the "Play Salieri" scene in "Amadeus".)

Have you considered Free Software (FOSS)?

A quick Google turned up this:

(The very last post there.)

Reply to
JeffM

Why should it be? All it takes is to run the OCR twice, one time with the schematics rotated. If needed then by hand. But no ...

I've looked at Tesseract. However, this is gradually turning into a science project and I might just do the whole IC schematic checking the old-fashioned way, using highlighter, pencil and eraser. Sad, but I guess that's the price we must pay for "modern CAD". Most low cost CAD software does this perfectly yet the high-end stuff doesn't. Pathetic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I did, JKK. They certainly can't set up a system to do what I need to do since they have *no* idea what I need to do my job. I don't know what I'm going to need next week.

Hogwash, though perhaps that was your best use.

Create what? You aren't making any sense.

Totally irrelevant.

Reply to
krw

9

Obviously. ...but we have so many more feechurs to play with.

What, no tail fins?!

Reply to
krw

I can vouch for this - I'm the local network (LAN) admin here, and the job consumes about ten minutes a month, on average. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've been a repair tech who repaired entertainment machines - from pool tables to video games. And the job included phone support for owner/ operators who had a broken machine - it's surprising what you can fix on the phone if you know your elbow from a hole in the ground.

And yes, "Is it plugged in" is always the first question you ask.

I once got a call from a guy who had a dead mahine - he had 115 volts to the fuse block, the fuses were good, but there was no power to the power supply. So I walked him through the standard troubleshooting procedure, and narrowed the problem to the on-off switch. So, he lays down the phone, and in the background I hear the video game power up. He comes back to the phone and says, "Fixed it, and I'm not gonna tell you what the problem was."

So, from that point on, whenever they said, "It's plugged in." I would ask, "is the power switch on?" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Maybe, but they _do_ have to know how to install any manner of software that says, "see your network administrator."

That was kind of a challenge for me for awhile, when I was the network administrator - I had to figure it out for myself. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If I need a face to face meeting with my network administrator I go into the bathroom across the hallway. There is a mirror ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That sounds like the ideal amount of time an IT admin should take. From there the instability rises linearly with the time spent.

Reply to
krw

use

user and

seem to

do

I'm

This make no sense. There are fairly standard tools every engineer uses, word processor, spreadsheet, database, schematic capture, simulation, layout, tools like mathcad / maxima / maple / matrixX, et cetera. Are = you telling me that your IT people cannot leave that on a machine all the time? Software toolchains can be left on there as well. Are you saying that you regularly go outside all these things on a weekly basis?

An IT support type (in an engineering organization) that cannot install CAD/CAE software is a problem; one that cannot install standard office software is a failure. Can't say that i have met one, have you?

out of

been

before.

Prejudice.

Didn't figure you would catch that one.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

:-(

not

Definately. Have you not noticed the degradation of office tools into glitz and intractable power tools? See also Capture.

Oh no, the new cars have all the power widgets, but they are no longer reliable. And safety equipment like emergency brakes are now computer mediated and not modulatible.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

Yup :-(

That is why I abandoned Orcad a long time ago and also why I use a lot of legacy software. Older versions are often much better than new ones. If "new" office software cannot OCR stuff that my old Logitech Scanman software could OCR with ease, that's pathetic.

My rule: Look what kind of cars people buy in not so developed countries with unpaved roads and not much service beyond the level of the local blacksmith. Then buy one of those.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Good God, you can be a dumbass... I don't know if I'm going to need the Xilinx toolchain next week or the Actel. No, they didn't even install the Altera tools on my machine. Go figure.

Yes.

Even more proof that your brain is gone. You can't even read.

Catch? You make less and less sense every day.

Reply to
krw

OTOH, synthesis and PAR has gotten far better (and cheaper;) over the last decade. The problem with OrCAD is that schematic capture has fallen into the dog meat category. No one (on either side of the check) is willing to spend real money on it.

Good luck getting it imported into the US.

Reply to
krw

The PSpice part crashed on me about as often, if not more. I think that the guys with the pen in hand are certainly writing big enough checks. This software costs as much as a good used car. I expect better for that kind of money. So I am not going to write them any more checks.

I own one. Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It is built on the MightyMax chassis and that has proven itself on the worst roads and under the meanest overload conditions you could imagine. So when I needed a car back then I checked which ones performed well on the Rallye Paris-Dakar, then perused the popularity of the winners in developing countries, went to the dealer, haggled for a couple of hours, done. He inquired several times whether I was aware that this vehicle had no power windows, power locks or power anything. "You sure you want it?" ... "Yeah".

Now don't expect a super smooth ride in one of those. Torsion bars up front, leaf spring in back. Kind of like an army vehicle (and in some not so peaceful areas they are used for that purpose).