Re: conservation of Euros

JKK >That is gross profit, not markup.

krw > Huh? =A0Gross profit is markup. =A0Price - cost.

G > Are you mixing real numbers with percentages?

W 100 R =A0120 GP 20 MU 20 % =A0( GP/W ) Gross Profit Margin 16 % ( GP/R )

krw > That's all just pushing the same two numbers around.

G > Business insiders tend to focus on margin. G > Consumers often focus on the markup.

krw > Distinction without a difference; same numbers.

G > You think 16% =3D=3D 20% ?

krw > Don't be stupid. =A0...or do you share DimBulb's neuron?

Nope.

Why did you try to pretend that margin and markup are the same thing?

Markup is the percentage OF WHOLESALE that is GP.

Margin is the percentage OF RETAIL that is GP.

They are two different ratios.

This would be as if you looked at P=3D I x E and

------- I x R

And then announced that Watts =3D=3D Amps.

You could say they are just reworks of the same numbers, right? LOL

Are you impaired?

Reply to
Greegor

Evidently.

You still don't get it. They *ARE* the same numbers, just stirred up. They mean *exactly* the same thing.

Of the *SAME* NUMBERS. Sheesh.

The independent variables are the *SAME*. Your representation of them is all that is different.

No, you're just beyond stupid. I think we have a new DimBulb, DimBulb.

Reply to
krw

JKK > That is gross profit, not markup.

krw > Huh? =A0Gross profit is markup. =A0Price - cost.

G > Are you mixing real numbers with percentages?

G > W 100 G > R =A0120 G > GP 20 G > MU 20 % =A0( GP/W ) G > Gross Profit Margin 16 % ( GP/R )

krw > That's all just pushing the same two numbers around.

G > Business insiders tend to focus on margin. G > Consumers often focus on the markup.

krw > Distinction without a difference; same numbers.

G > You think 16% =3D=3D 20% ?

krw > Don't be stupid. =A0...or do you share DimBulb's neuron?

G > Nope.

krw > Evidently.

G > Why did you try to pretend that G > margin and markup are the same thing?

krw > You still don't get it. =A0They *ARE* the krw > same numbers, just stirred up. =A0They krw > mean *exactly* the same thing.

G > Markup is the percentage OF WHOLESALE that is GP. G > Margin is the percentage OF RETAIL that is GP. G > They are two different ratios.

krw > Of the *SAME* NUMBERS. =A0Sheesh.

G > This would be as if you looked at P=3D I x E =A0and G >

G > =A0E G > ------- G > I x R G >

G > And then announced that Watts =3D=3D Amps. G >

G > You could say they are just reworks G > of the same numbers, right? =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 LOL

krw > The independent variables are the *SAME*. krw >=A0Your representation of them is all krw > that is different.

Please confirm that you think Amps and Watts are the same thing, for the same reasons.

G > Are you impaired?

krw > No, you're just beyond stupid.

krw > I think we have a new DimBulb, DimBulb.

By your reasoning, Amps and Watts are the same thing. After all:

krw > The independent variables are the *SAME*. krw > Your representation of them is all krw > that is different.

LOL

Reply to
Greegor

Know two, you get eggroll. ...except in this case there are only two possible variables.

Good thing that you're laughing. Everyone else is laughing at you too, Junior.

Reply to
krw

JKK > That is gross profit, not markup.

krw > Huh? Gross profit is markup. Price - cost.

G > Are you mixing real numbers with percentages?

G > W 100 G > R 120 G > GP 20 G > MU 20 % ( GP/W ) G > Gross Profit Margin 16 % ( GP/R )

krw > That's all just pushing the same two numbers around.

G > Business insiders tend to focus on margin. G > Consumers often focus on the markup.

krw > Distinction without a difference; same numbers.

G > You think 16% =3D=3D 20% ?

krw > Don't be stupid. ...or do you share DimBulb's neuron?

G > Nope.

krw > Evidently.

G > Why did you try to pretend that G > margin and markup are the same thing?

krw > You still don't get it. They *ARE* the krw > same numbers, just stirred up. They krw > mean *exactly* the same thing.

G > Markup is the percentage OF WHOLESALE that is GP. G > Margin is the percentage OF RETAIL that is GP. G > They are two different ratios.

krw > Of the *SAME* NUMBERS. Sheesh.

G > This would be as if you looked at P=3D I x E and G >

G > E G > ------- G > I x R G >

G > And then announced that Watts =3D=3D Amps. G >

G > You could say they are just reworks G > of the same numbers, right? LOL

krw > The independent variables are the *SAME*. krw > Your representation of them is all krw > that is different.

G > Please confirm that you think Amps and Watts G > are the same thing, for the same reasons.

krw > Know two, you get eggroll. =A0...except in krw > this case there are only two possible krw > variables.

G > Are you impaired?

krw > No, you're just beyond stupid.

krw > I think we have a new DimBulb, DimBulb.

G > By your reasoning, Amps and Watts are G > the same thing. After all:

krw > The independent variables are the *SAME*. krw > Your representation of them is all krw > that is different.

G > LOL

krw > Good thing that you're laughing. =A0Everyone krw > else is laughing at you too, Junior.

Oh! That stings!

Please stop hurting my feelings mister usenet poster!

I offended your sensibilities by pointing out that profit margin and markup are not the same thing?

And as a BONUS you have asserted that Amps and Watts are the same thing...

I'm not saying it isn't easy to convert, but getting terminology right IS important in some areas. For markup v margin or Amps v Watts, getting terminology right is too important to be dismissed.

The fact that conversions are easy is beside the point.

In both Engineering and business math, incorrrectly affixed terminology is a big deal.

In those areas especially, the Confucious saying fits better than elsewhere.

The beginning of wisdom is calling things by their right names. Confucius

Markup Versus Gross Profit Margin

We're glad you took an interest in this topic. This topic explains the difference in gross profit margin (or profit margin) and price markup.

There is a big difference between markup and gross profit. In fact, this is one of the most common errors contractors make and it can cost you big.

Markup and margin, what's the difference? Short Answer

Markup is a percentage of the cost. Margin is the same dollar amount expressed as a percentage of the selling price.

Example Item costs $1.00 Items sells for $1.50. Markup is .50 or 50 percent of the cost. Margin is .50 or 33 a percent of the selling price.

Long Answer Markup Defined Markup is the difference between invoice cost and selling price. It may be expressed either as a percentage of the selling price or the cost price and is supposed to cover all the costs of doing business plus a profit. Whether markup is based on the selling price or the cost price, the base is always equal to 100 percent. Markup is the additional amount added to a sales proposal (bid) or price and which contain overhead, profit, excess costs, etc.

Margin Defined The difference between net sales and the cost of goods sold. It is also referred to as gross profit. Gross Profit/Total Sales. The percentage of every dollar earned that can be used to pay general and administrative expenses.

Margin Versus Markup Formula

Applying a simple formula will determine how much the margin will be based on a percentage that the contractor expects to make. The contractor will set a margin that ensures that they will be competitive in the local market. It may or may not reflect the actual value of an item. In your example, we are looking to make an 60% margin assuming that our item costs $10. To figure out our sales price we use the following formula, expressing the margin as a decimal (i.e., 60% =3D .60):

Retail Price =3D (Cost of item)/(1 =96 desired margin)

Reply to
Greegor

addressing

side.

Sounds line an offer he cannot refuse.

The press is doing everything it can to write off the tea partiers as kooks. We'll see in November how well they've done. It will also be interesting to see how far down into the state and local governments it goes, if at all.

You'd have to be very quick to get around the retroactive implementation. If you can do that, you'll have beaten the rush. I'm seriously thinking of pulling my IRAs out when I have the chance. Pay the tax, on top of my income. It's not going to get better.

It's too big of a target. Congress will "borrow" it, on their terms. They'll replace it with the Social Security that you would have gotten anyway. It's only "fair" that all get the same.

The "hill people" have demonstrated, beyond a doubt, that they're uneducable and don't care about reality.

Reply to
krw

Please stop with the non-standard posting. It shows you for the idiot you are.

They are *exactly* the same thing, expressed differently.

Different issue completely. They are representations of physical entities. "Margin" and "markup" are not.

No, you're just saying that you're stupid.

The fact that they are different representations of the same thing is not.

You're totally clueless.

Reply to
krw

addressing

side.

The Press is turning on Obama. Finally. So are a lot of Democrats, as far as that goes.

John

addressing

:-(

either side.

I'm not convinced. We'll see.

Reply to
krw

now

addressing

:-(

either side.

:-(

Things are looking up in America:

John

now

up

of

addressing

:-(

either side.

:-(

Still 30 points too high.

Reply to
krw

must=20

for=20

dog I=20

had a=20

pipe,=20

the=20

name=20

sale).

those

Because of all the other record keeping involved with a real property sale, yes.=20

Reply to
JosephKK

But that immediately fills the can with worms again.

Reply to
JosephKK

Why do you think that?

Sin taxes on tobacco and alcohol are used in many countries.

I thought some US states were contemplating a sin tax on sugary soft drinks to try and rescue the nations ever expanding waistline.

VAT is zero rated for basic foods deliberately to make the essentials of life cheaper. It works fine. There are a handful of ambiguous products with roughly the same ingredients where one is luxury and the other staple food (preserved sugared ginger for instance).

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

The distinction between "zero-rated" and "exempt" is an important one.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

What record keeping? I seriously doubt that uncle Leroy will remember who rebuilt the deck 15 years ago. Or wants to remember.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

ust

e for

dog I

ad a

pe,

he

me

e).

ose

%

Okay, I've got a short break so I'll try to catch up with you guys...

Uncle Leroy paid Fair Tax when he bought the building materials. If he hired a contractor, Leroy pays Fair Tax when he pays the contractor. No recordkeeping. End of story.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

rote:

now

up

.

of

addressing

:-(

her side.

-(

Well, congratulations--Phil, Keith, and you have just affected public policy through this conversation. If pressed, I'm pretty sure they'd compromise.

The question is always the same--how much they'd have to raise the rate to make up for the lost revenue. It'd have to be higher, obviously, if items are exempted, since the goal is be totally non- partisan: to collect the same amount of tax, from mostly the same people in the same proportions, just in a simpler way.

Their defense on taxed savings was exactly as I said--on average, producers' prices would fall to offset the Fair Tax, and your spending power would be the same. They acknowledge that your purchasing mix would vary your experience, i.e., costs don't fall equally for all producers.

Oh, by the way, they said "Fair" is supposed to mean "pretty good, loads better than what we have," not "perfectly equitable for everyone." They know the latter's impossible.

There is no such guarantee. Today's government voids contracts, takes and redistributes businesses, rewrites mortgages, funds union pensions with taxpayer funds, requires you to buy absolutely anything they mandate, etc. And, they change their minds on a whim. There are no guarantees.

I'm fairly familiar with the financial markets--I see no adverse impact. I'd think it would blossom. Get paid, save and invest, all with NO tax. Hallelujah.

Business too, once freed from all that accounting, reporting, and plotting and scheming to avoid tax landmines. What's your concern?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Not at all end of story. Read what I wrote above about the guy who bought the complete remodel materials with hard cash. He's going to make uncle Leroy a special deal, provided that no paperwork crosses the table and there will be a cash payment. Meaning the guy who did the work puts all it this cash in his pocket. IOW, nobody ever paid tax for the work, only for the materials.

In countries with high VAT the underground economy is rampant. I know it, I lived in such countries. This so-called "fair tax" will have the same effect as a VAT because to the people it works the same way. They do not care how it's called, a tax is a tax is a tax.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Trade" is already rampant, with deals arranged thru various Internet "lists". ...Jim Thompson